Case Management/Social Services, Education/Teaching/Training, Program Management
4 Year Degree
SCOPE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Provide comprehensive housing counseling and education services that support the creation and retention of home ownership opportunities consistent with the NHS mission. The Home Ownership Consultant will provide group training and one-on-one counseling to NHS clients in connection with home purchase, foreclosure prevention and financial capability as assigned.
Homebuyer Education and Pre-Purchase Counseling
• Serve as an instructor for the NHS eight hour homebuyer education curriculum, offered evenings and weekends, covering: (1) homeownership readiness and affordability, (2) money and credit management, (3) types of properties and financing available, (4) applying for a mortgage loan, (5) the closing process, and (6) post purchase money management and home maintenance.
• Conduct other group workshops and presentations on home purchase, credit building and financial capability as assigned.
• Provide one-on-one pre-purchase housing counseling to support clients in meeting their housing goals including: (1) analysis of financial situation, (2) affordability assessment based on income and debt, (3) credit report review and identification of challenges, (4) assessment of capacity to qualify for a mortgage (5) development of an action plan to overcome barriers to achieving homeownership.
• Conduct client follow up to facilitate the home buying process and document outcomes.
• Participate in the administration of down payment assistance programs including eligibility screening and income certification.
• Provide one-on-one counseling to clients at risk of foreclosure to preserve their homeownership including the following: o Assess client’s mortgage and payment status o Work with client to document and analyze their financial situation and develop loss mitigation options o Create a written action plan for foreclosure avoidance or client’s preference o Communicate with the servicer and submit a loss mitigation package to the servicer on behalf of the client when applicable o Provide client and servicer follow up and document outcome. o Provide client with referral information for additional community services.
• Conduct foreclosure prevention workshops and participate in outreach events as required.
• Document and report all client interactions, counseling activities, outcomes and outreach in NHS CRM (client relationship management) databases for client management, internal tracking, and external reporting to funders on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis as required.
• Document and store client files in a manner consistent with established protocols.
• Maintain required job skills, core professional competencies and required certifications. Participate in required educational programs, trainings and staff meetings.
• Participate in outreach activities to promote and provide NHS services in the community.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Documented counseling hours in NHS databases. • Documented counseling outcomes across assigned programs. • High level of customer satisfaction with NHS services. • Adherence to established policies and procedures for the delivery of counseling and education services.
About Neighborhood Housing Services of Chicago, Inc.
Established in 1975, Neighborhood Housing Services (NHS) of Chicago is a non-profit neighborhood revitalization organization committed to helping homeowners and strengthening neighborhoods. Our mission is to create opportunities for people to live in affordable homes, improve their lives, and strengthen their neighborhoods.
NHS is a 501c3 non-profit corporation which includes five separate lega...l entities: Neighborhood Housing Services, Neighborhood Lending Services, Neighborhood Redevelopment Corporation, Neighborhood Redevelopment Corporation Initiatives, and Neighborhood Housing Services of the Fox Valley.
Neighborhood Lending Services (NLS) is a Community Development Financial Institution Loan Fund that stabilizes and revitalizes economically distressed communities throughout metropolitan Chicago. We facilitate such revitalization by helping first-time homebuyers purchase and maintain their own homes.