Answers incoming calls, schedules appointments, greets patients, registers new patients in computer system, verifies insurance coverage, calculates adjustments, and receives and records payments in computer system.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Answers telephone calls, determines nature of calls, takes and relays messages, completes daily message logs and responds to routine inquiries following established procedures.
2. Greets patients and patient families arriving for scheduled appointments. Registers patient by obtaining patient information such as name, demographic data, insurance coverage, etc. according to established procedures.
3. Ensures exceptional customer service is offered to all patients and visitors using the AIDET principles. (Acknowledge. Introduce. Duration. Explanation. Thank.)
4. Verifies insurance eligibility and informs patients of covered benefits. Requests and reviews managed care referrals and ensures that services provided are within scope of authorization.
5. Schedules all appointments including patient visits and assists patients with scheduling return visits.
6. Receives and records patient payments made at time of service. In doing so, calculates adjustments and/or discounts when totaling charge amount, prepares receipts for cash or check payments, and updates patient account information in computer system. Balances actual daily receipts with computer-generated total, researches and modifies discrepancies and/or errors, and prepares daily deposit.
7. Performs reconciliation of encounter forms. Checks encounter forms against sign-in sheet to make sure all encounter forms are counted for.
8. Performs next day preparation, which includes chart preparation, pre-registration, appointment confirmation including payment information.
9. Performs other duties as assigned by Manager such as photocopying documents and materials, operates a PC, calculator, photo copier and fax machine.
10. Maintains confidentiality of patient and Center employee information in all situations.
11. Notifies administrative assistant of equipment malfunction and takes corrective action as appropriate.
12. Participates in staff meetings and other in-services, meeting or committees as required.
13. Consistently uses the AIDET principles of customer service.
Mandatory Job Qualifications
Excellent customer service skills, interpersonal skills and attention to detail required
Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Ability to remain calm and friendly under pressure.
Excellent Cash handling skills
Basic understanding of Microsoft office, including Word and Excel.
1-3 year experience in the medical field, preferably in customer service.
Esperanza Health Centers serves an area that is in great need of quality healthcare. Families in Esperanza's service area experience significant economic, educational, and health disparities. More than 53 percent of residents live below twice the poverty level. Large portions of Esperanza's service area have been designated as a Medically Underserved Area and a Health Professional Shortage Area by... the Health Resources and Services Administration.
All of our full-time providers and all of our clinical staff are bilingual and bicultural. Our services and programs are carefully tailored to the needs and culture of the communities we serve.
Esperanza Health Centers is a Health Center Program grantee under 42 U.S.C. 254b, and a deemed Public Health Service employee under 42 U.S.C. 233(g)-(n).
To promote healthy lifestyles & improve our patients’ health through the provision of high quality health care and wellness services in the communities of Chicago’s southwest side.
Esperanza means hope in Spanish. In living up to its name, Esperanza Health Centers envisions healthy communities where resources are woven together, allowing community residents to realize their full potential through optimum health regardless of immigration status, race/ethnicity, income or ability to obtain insurance.
HOPE: eliminating barriers that restrict access to quality health care.
HEALTH: impacting the community by providing quality integrated primary care and behavioral health services.
FAMILY: building our communities by helping families with prevention and self-care education.