At Chicago Youth Centers (CYC), we educate and support children and families so they can succeed in the 21st century. We provide the tools, experiences, and resources needed for youth ages 3-18 to persist academically and develop socially and emotionally.
We engage children early and provide services when they are most vulnerable: after school and during the summer.
We offer family engagement programs to help families guide their children during critical transitions: entering kindergarten, starting high school, and preparing for college or a career.
We build strong partnerships within communities to create a village of committed community leaders, schools, volunteers, and peer organizations dedicated to our children's success.
We are currently conducting a search for a Chief Development Officer (CDO).
Reporting to the President/CEO, the Chief Development Officer (CDO) will serve as a member of The Executive Leadership Team and will be an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting Chicago Youth Centers. In partnership with the members of senior management, this position is responsible for communications and development strategies. The successful candidate will help forge new relationships to build CYC’s visibility, impact, and financial resources.
The CDO will design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key external alliances, with a heavy emphasis on individual major gifts, and then cultivating their support.
The CDO will lead a team of development professionals through a growth phase for CYC. S/he will play a key role in designing and developing new strategies needed to grow CYC’s impact. S/he will expand and diversify CYC’s donor base/pipeline and lead a team to assure continued results in CYC’s current and sustainable fundraising activities.
Primary Areas of Responsibility
• Lead a team
• Achievement of annual revenue budget
• Individual donor development & stewardship
• Planning and execution of all sustainable fundraising strategies
• Integrated Communications & Marketing Strategy
• Lead development & communications staff to research, develop target list of prospects, creates customized approaches and develops messages and materials.
• Understand the organizational needs and develops and implements a revenue generation strategy designed to address these needs.
• Significantly expand the individual major gift donor base. Identifies cultivates and stewards, current and new corporate, and foundation partners.
• Oversee consistent weekly, monthly and quarterly reports of fundraising progress communicating the goals and strategies of the overall advancement efforts; and manages that progress against established benchmarks and an organizational scorecard.
• Leverage Board Members and champions relationships; maintains a personal portfolio of major donors while staffing and coaching the CEO and Board Members in managing their donor portfolios to increase support for CYC.
• Lead the creation of powerful and inspiring materials; letters, proposals and dynamic presentations customized for target audience.
• Manage all fundraising events; works with the development and program teams to oversee all development aspects of fundraising and cultivation events.
• Ensure ethical and appropriate financial administration of contributed income, including overseeing the donor and prospect records, gift processing and donor stewardship functions.
External & Community Relations
• Serve as an articulate, passionate and visible spokesperson for CYC, and as the primary face of fundraising and communications throughout the organization and in local communities.
• Maintain active membership and a strong presence in professional organizations, community groups and other spaces relevant to the work of CYC and its mission.
• Provide strategic leadership to CYC’s efforts to effectively communicate the mission, goal and accomplishments to donors, prospective donors, and the broader community.
• Work with and provides training for CYC’s senior leadership team to enhance fundraising activities, an overall culture of philanthropy, and to solicit and close gifts.
• Create and implement a plan to identify and build strong relationships with key donors, community leaders and volunteers, and engages organizations with which CYC should partner.
• Nurture partnerships and relationships with current and prospective funders through donor recognition programs and stewardship Cultivates long-term funder involvement and engagement to assure.
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience required;
• 10 years related and progressive fund-raising experience.
• 5-6 years of supervisory experience.
• Significant major gift experience
• Capital campaign experience preferred
• Strong, confident and inspiring leader
• Thrives in entrepreneurial, roll up your sleeves environment
• Believes in working with no boundaries-whatever it takes to do the job well and in the best interest of the organization/end result
• Driven by results
• Creative self-starter able to work both individually and as a member of consensus-seeking teams.
• Strong communication skills (written and verbal).
• Ability to interface and maintain effective relationships with all levels.
Additional Salary Information: Salary commensurate with experience.
About Chicago Youth Centers
Chicago Youth Centers (CYC) invests in youth in undeserved communities in Chicago to help them discover and realize their full potential. Caring for Our Communities for 60 years, CYC has steadfastly served communities on the south and west sides of Chicago. Today CYC centers are in seven communities across metro Chicago. We consistently deliver programming to serve the needs of kids, parents and communities—focusing on academic achievement, social and emotional skill development and parent/family engagement. Our centers are characterized by passionate and committed staff and serve as learning centers for our kids, community resources, and safe spaces.