Nearly 50% of Chicago’s West side teens never finish high school.
Bring the vision. Keep the hope. Be the change.
About the West Town Academy:
The West Town Academy (WTA) is a highly effective, state-recognized diploma-granting high school for students who have dropped out of Chicago Public Schools and wish to complete their secondary education. 75% of our students are African-American, and 25% are Latino. Students range in age from 17-21 years of age. Most WTA students are from low-income families, and approximately 15% are DCFS wards.
The WTA plays a critical role in the lives of both our students and their communities. The WTA strives to demonstrate and model a highly successful strategy for re-engaging, teaching and graduating our community’s many dropout youth. Additionally, the WTA serves as a model for civic and government leaders to encourage the creation and expansion of resources and programs that effectively address the needs of our community’s many at-risk and dropout youth.
Position: Social Science Instructor (social justice emphasis)
(1) Develop Social Science lesson plans and provide academic instruction and individualized mentoring services to assigned students. Course curriculum has a social justice emphasis.
(2) Oversee the implementation of educational plan and intervene immediately with any students on their caseload showing attendance, behavior, or academic problems.
(3) Follow-up daily with phone calls to absent students and their parents/ guardians.
(4) Provide additional tutoring and develop remediation plan for any students failing to perform in their class.
(5) Maintain all records, logs, and submit reports in a timely manner.
(6) Attend all staff meetings and events as assigned.
(7) Involvement with after-school and extracurricular activities a needed
(8) Teach the career explorations class-focused on resume writing, job and college applications, transition plans for post secondary and organizing college/career fairs
(9) Incorporate computer skills development through social science curriculum