About the Teacher Position
The person in the Teacher Position leads classroom instruction. Responsible for the supervision and coordination of the classroom environment, including students and instructional assistants. Develops and actualizes school curriculum within self-contained classroom environment. This position is a grant position related solely to the Unaccompanied Children’s Shelter as funded by the Office of Refugee Resettlement and any successor funding.
- Establishes collaborative relationships with colleagues, consultants, therapists, and administrators.
- Maintains the required educational certifications and training required of all Maryville Academy employees.
- Participates and contributes to in-service trainings and staff development opportunities and providing input and suggestions for future topics and directions.
- Interacts with students in a supportive, professional manner.
- Documents all progress and completion of student work in a timely manner.
- Maintains appropriate confidentiality regarding all information about students.
- Keeps materials and assigned space in a neat and orderly condition.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, Experience and Skills
- Must have current State of Illinois Professional Educator License.
- A Bachelor's Degree, Master’s Degree preferred, in Education from an accredited college or university.
- A minimum of 1-2 years’ experience teaching
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) required.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, with students, supervisors, coworkers, subordinates, support agencies, and a variety of internal as well as external consumers.
- Basic computer proficiency including working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Skill in organizing and prioritizing workloads to meet deadlines.
- Required to frequently sit, stand, bend, stoop, walk and drive for extended periods. Ability to walk up and down stairs.
- Required to occasionally lift/move objects and/or youth weighing in excess of 40 pounds.
- Must possess the ability to provide physical restraint for students threatening to harm themselves or others.
- Must have the visual, hearing, and learning capabilities sufficient to perform the essential functions defined above.
Environment and Scheduling
- Work is performed during school program days and hours.
- Work is performed in classrooms settings and in an administrative office setting.
- Duties involve contact with students who may be traumatized.
Why Join the Maryville Family?
Maryville offers all full-time employees:
- PPO health insurance options
- Vision Insurance
- Dental insurance (after one year of service)
- FSA and HSA
- Paid vacation and sick days
- 9 paid holidays a year
- Long Term Disability and Life Insurance (after one year of service)
- Tuition reimbursement (after one year of service)
For more information about all of the services that Maryville provides, please visit our website at www.maryvilleacademy.org.