Summary: This position provides a variety of services integral to the functioning of Heartland Health Outreach. The Certified Medical Assistant is primarily responsible for providing support to the clinical providers and community health nurses by facilitating patient flow, assisting with various patient care activities, and performing related administrative and clerical functions. The Certified Medical Assistant is responsible for providing optional service to clients, respecting and demonstrating patient confidentiality, being culturally competent, and working within the established parameters of the job at all times. Individual accountabilities and work volume will be established through the development of annual Success Objectives, within the framework outlined below.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains patient flow by escorting patients from the waiting area to the examination room. Assists the ongoing management of patient flow by ensuring that rooms are efficiently utilized, minimizing patient wait time.
- Prepares patients for their visit, examination procedure and/or treatment in accordance with established procedures. Obtains vital signs as necessary. Documents complaints based on information received.
- Prepares appropriate paperwork for procedures, laboratory work, tests, or referrals for provider/Community Health Nurse (CHN) signature and comment.
- Assists providers and nurses with procedures in accordance with established protocols. Assist providers and nurses in urgent and emergency medical situations, including obtaining and operating medical equipment in accordance with established protocols and standards.
- Administers medication and/or immunizations administered intramuscularly, intradermally or subcutaneously under the direction of an RN and physician. Appropriately documents medication administered.
- Under direction of a provider or CHN, provides assistance by returning patient telephone calls related to prescription refills, normal laboratory results, referrals, etc. Provides assistance with placing telephone calls to pharmacies to request prescription refills, as specifically ordered by a provider.
- Maintains a high quality patient care environment by cleaning, preparing, and stocking all examination rooms and treatment areas in accordance with established standards. Assists in the care, cleaning, sterilization, and maintenance of medical equipment and instruments. This includes the monitoring of relevant expiration dates, established maintenance schedules, and assistance in maintaining medical supply inventories.
- Understands, respects, and demonstrates patient confidentially in all endeavors. Understand legal ramifications of violating any component of patient confidentiality, understands the protocol and related procedures for the release of patient information.
- Assists in the collection, labeling, and processing of specimens. Performs phlebotomy and simple laboratory tests as requested and as outlined in the Illinois Clinical Laboratory Act and related regulations.
- Adheres to OSHA and infection control policies and procedures.
- Participates in health screenings, educational programs, and team meetings.
- Performs receptionist, patient service, clerical and other functions as needed to support the efficient operation of the practice.
- Performs wound dressing changes and wound cultures.
- Provides patient information and instructions including HIV pre-test counseling and HIV-negative post test counseling.
- Specifically prohibited activities include (but are not limited to):
- Independent telephone triage;
- Independent health history or risk assessment;
- Independent diagnosis or treatment of patient;
- Independently prescribing or refilling prescriptions;
- Handing out medications samples;
- Arterial punctures, IV injections of any kind;
- Medical treatment, analysis or reading test results;
- Advising patients about their condition or treatment regime;
- Administering any anesthetic agent.
- Adheres to professional standards as outlined by governmental bodies, appropriate professional associations, private funding sources, agency plans, policies and unit guidelines. Participates in periodic evaluation reviews and/or in house and external staff training to ensure adherence to standards. Initiates requests for assistance or guidance from supervisor to address new issues or complex concepts affecting adherence to professional standards.
- Performs other job related duties as assigned