PEER Services is a substance abuse prevention and treatment agency located in downtown Evanston. The prevention department provides direct services to youth ages 11-18 and families.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The Prevention Specialist is responsible for planning, implementing, and evaluating drug prevention programs. Specifically, the Prevention Specialist will:
- Teach Too Good for Drugs 5th/6th grade curriculum
- Provide support and assistance to middle school P.E. teachers and social workers for the Project ALERT curriculum
- Assist in the coordination of the Snowflake event for middle school youth
- Develop and implement a social marketing campaign for high school youth and school staff
- Collaborate with youth, school personnel, youth agency providers, and parent groups
- Develop educational materials for parents
- Utilize data to develop and evaluate programs
- Design and deliver community trainings on essential prevention topics
- Support prevention staff, community organizations, and coalitions in implementing prevention best practices
- Attend and/or facilitate meetings
- Plan/facilitate educational sessions for parents, teachers, and community groups
- Attend training in evidence-based drug prevention strategies in Chicago, and occasionally Springfield or Champaign, Illinois or nationwide
- Other job-related duties as assigned
- Produce written materials that are articulate and appropriate for a targeted audience
- Work collaboratively and professionally with agency staff, parents, youth, school personnel, local government, and school or community leaders
- Speak comfortably to small and large groups of diverse ages and backgrounds
- Multi-task and meet deadlines
- Work independently
- Coordinate scheduling to meet program needs
- Bachelors or Masters in Public Health, Health Education, or Social Work preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Office, Excel, Powerpoint, Publisher
- Graphic design or other artistic background
- Basic knowledge of alcohol and other drug pharmacology
- Familiarity or experience working with schools or communities
Some evening and weekend work is required
Access to a car is required.
Please submit a resume and cover letter.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.