What is the Umoja Upward Bound program?
The Umoja Upward Bound (UB) program supports a cohort of 50 students at Manley Career Academy High School on Chicago's West Side. Its purpose is to develop the skills and motivation necessary for success in a program of postsecondary education, and to increase the rate at which low-income students and first generation college students complete secondary school and enroll in and graduate from institutions of postsecondary education. To that end, Umoja UB provides a comprehensive array of intensive support services throughout the academic year and summer: collaboration and partnership with Manley teachers; academic, financial, career and personal advising; tutoring and study skills development; college and career exploration workshops; Saturday Academic Institutes; college trips; cultural events; and parent activities.
The Umoja UB Summer Institute is a 6-week non-residential program designed to strengthen academic skills, increase social skills, prepare students for college life, and provide exposure to cultural and career opportunities.
The program has the capacity to serve 25-30 students during the summer of 2017. In addition to exposure to college campuses, cultural events, career exploration, and several other core program components, the Summer Institute is focused primarily on academic content, teaching curriculum that covers core subject areas.
Our hope is to present the students with instruction in the subject areas of English, Mathematics, Science and Spanish that will build on what they have learned during the school year. We also, introduce them to subject material that will develop their skills for the next school year, as well as prepare them for the ACT. The UB Summer Institute will be hosted at a local university in Chicago. Umoja Upward Bound hires qualified instructors in core subject areas and also works with a number of community and business partners to facilitate engaging workshops and sessions.
The Upward Bound Teaching Assistant serves as a Teacher's Assistant during 6 week program, Monday through Friday. Some evening and overnight hours are required for the position. This Teaching Assistant works closely with the Summer Instructors to support students' learning and is responsible for mentoring and case managing a cohort of Upward Bound students.
Job duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Lead/co-lead a high school grade level cohort during the Summer Institute 6 week program.
- Serve as a teaching assistant during all classes and workshops; assisting instructors by providing instructional support as needed.
- Collect and log attendance for your assigned cohort..
- Serve as a substitute for instructors in the event of instructor absence.
- Assist students with academic and socio-emotional needs.
- Provide individualized tutoring in content areas specified by Upward Bound instructors or staff.
- Assist students in the use of instructional equipment and materials.
- Provide weekly reports to Upward Bound Staff (Director and Program Specialist) regarding student progress; advise Upward Bound staff of any need for intervention with students, instructors, and university staff.
- Assist program participants in developing good study skills and time management practices.
- Establish and maintain rapport with all Upward Bound students, staff, instructors, and university staff.
- Attend and participate in all Upward Bound Summer Institute training sessions, meetings, and orientations.
- Abide by all safety policies and procedures as determined by Umoja and university staff. Contribute to a safe educational & working environment.
- Participate in and attend all , field trips, and special events (i.e. campus overnight week, college tour, etc.).
- Assist with administrative tasks.
- Co-facilitate group/team building activities and workshop sessions.