Make your mark on Jewish student life by joining Northwestern Hillel as the Associate Director of Development. You’ll help to power Hillel by connecting people to our mission (or “community?”) and raising vital funds for one of the strongest Hillels in North America, with an annual budget of nearly $1.5 million.
As the Associate Director of Development, you will be responsible for assisting the Executive Director in all aspects of fundraising and donor relations, ensuring that Northwestern Hillel inspires every Jewish student to make a meaningful and enduring commitment to Jewish life. Primary responsibilities include managing the annual campaign, gift and database management, coordinating donor events, advising the Student Development Committee, supervising a Development Intern, grant research and applications, and communicating Hillel's vision and story to key constituencies. You will also provide support for the Board of Directors and steward partnerships with Northwestern University, the Jewish United Fund of Metropolitan Chicago (JUF), and Hillel International.
What You’ll Do
- Manage annual fundraising campaign, including direct mail appeals, family/alumni weekends, online solicitations, and local and national fundraising events
- Strategize with Northwestern Hillel staff, Federation staff, university staff, and lay leaders to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of current and future major donors
- Coordinate the development leadership team for major fundraising initiatives, including upcoming capital renovation project and potential endowment campaign
- Staff the Board of Directors, Executive Committee, and Development Committee (including all meeting logistics and communications)
- Conduct grant research, write grant applications and reports, and manage grant timelines
- Communicate Hillel’s vision and Northwestern Hillel’s story to key constituencies through various media, including video, print, and electronic communications.
On a day-to-day basis you will
- Engage in outreach to parents, donors, and alumni through event communications and regular community updates
- Perform prospect research, solicitation and stewardship of a portfolio of major gift donors ($10,000 and above) on behalf of Northwestern Hillel. Work with the Executive Director and other lay leaders to prepare, research and execute their own portfolios of major gifts.
- Administer the development database and ensure data entry and gift processing is timely and precise.
- Prepare grant proposals and reports for individual donors, philanthropic foundations, other funders and the board.
- Oversee all mail and internet?based solicitations, including the design and production of marketing materials.
- Build partnerships with campus administration and the campus development office, JUF, Hillel’s International Center, and foundations.
- Forecast fundraising potential for annual budgeting and monitor development expenses.
What You’ve Accomplished
- 5+ number of years in fundraising and development or related fields. Experience in event planning, marketing, and/or higher education preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Proven success in:
- Executing annual fundraising campaigns, including cultivation, stewardship, and solicitation through in-person, print, and online channels
- Building relationships with leaders within education or nonprofit space
- Management of donor or customer relation databases
What You’ll Bring to the Job
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit and creativity
- Resilience - things may not go according to plan, but you’ll take risks and learn from wins as well as losses
- Ability to collaborate across teams both inside and outside of Hillel
- Capacity to work independently and collaboratively, successfully managing multiple priorities
- Understanding of current trends, ability to recommend and implement plans to increase donors, contributions, and identify new opportunities
- A sense of humor
- Superior oral and written communication skills
What You’ll Receive
- Competitive salary in the nonprofit marketplace.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, Group Supplemental Retirement Annuity (GSRA), pension plan, life insurance, Long Term Disability (LTD), Flexible Spending Plan, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities
- Opportunities to travel regionally and nationally for fundraising events and visits
- Plenty of coffee and Hillel swag
About Northwestern Hillel
Northwestern Hillel is the foundation for Jewish life at Northwestern University, one of the most vibrant Jewish campus communities in North America. Northwestern Hillel offers a wide array of opportunities for Jewish students of all backgrounds and interests to connect with Jewish life and their own Jewish story and journey. The professional staff works to support students in creating meaningful Jewish experiences for themselves and their peers in the Northwestern community and beyond.
Located in the heart of the Northwestern campus in Evanston, Illinois, Northwestern Hillel is situated along the shore of Lake Michigan just 20 minutes north of downtown Chicago. Northwestern is a world-class university, currently ranked #12 by US News and World Report, and is renowned for its schools of journalism, theater, business, and law; its Big Ten athletics; and its bright, talented, and diverse student population. Northwestern is home to approximately 1400 Jewish undergraduates, plus over 1000 Jewish graduate students on its Evanston and downtown Chicago campuses.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Northwestern Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
About The Hillels of Illinois and Jewish United Fund/Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago
The Hillels of Illinois is a department of the Jewish United Fund/Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago and is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel. The Jewish United Fund of Metropolitan Chicago is the one organization that impacts every aspect of local and global Jewish life, providing human services for Jews and others in need, creating Jewish experiences and strengthening Jewish community connections.