This full-time salaried position is a unique opportunity to provide leadership in a modified Collective setting. The Executive Director works closely with the Steering Committee, Board Committee, and program leadership to ensure the organization’s overall health and to guide the strategic direction of the Health Center in order to best fulfill its mission. The Executive Director leads by example within the Collective by promoting collaborative work processes, collegial relationships, open communication, and self-responsibility.
Fiscal Planning and Management (30%)
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity and fiscal management of the organization.
- Budget creation and monitoring: Lead the planning and creation of the annual operating budget, prepare and present final budget to Collective for approval, monitor and manage organizational resources according to the annual budget, create and present quarterly financial reports to board and Collective that accurately reflect the financial condition of CWHC.
- Financial Oversight: Work closely with the Finance & Administrative Coordinator to ensure accurate accounting, develop new financial policies and practices as needed or as reporting requirements change, oversee selection of independent auditor, coordinate board review of 990 and audit, verify monthly bank statements and coding on invoices.
- Financial communications: Provide Board and Collective with accessible financial reporting and facilitate decision making processes, ensure timely and accurate financial reporting to foundations.
- Serve as the lead fundraiser for the organization, foster a culture of fundraising that acknowledges and engages the entire Collective as fundraisers for CWHC.
- Individual & Corporate Giving: In collaboration with the Development Director and Board Committee, create and implement a vision and plan for short and long term growth in individual and corporate giving. Solicit and steward individual donors through regular communications, special events, and strategic asks.
- Grants Management: Build and sustain relationships with foundation contacts, support Development Director with strategic asks, content development, prospecting, and ensuring high quality, timely submissions to meet budgeted goals.
- Community Engagement: Develop relationships with donors, community members, and other organizations to increase visibility of CWHC. Guide and support CWHC’s external communications. Serve as CWHC’s primary media liaison and represent CWHC via internal and external speaking engagements.
Organizational Development and Operations (25%)
- Short and long term planning: Collaborate with Steering Committee and Board Committee to lead Collective in all stages of strategic plan creation, implementation, and communication of progress made.
- Serve as Steering Committee member and attend bimonthly meetings to collaboratively approach financial management, personnel management, short and long term planning, and strengthening internal organizational structures and policy.
- Program Development and Support: Serve as Directors and Coordinators Committee member and attend meetings to support respective directors and coordinators in developing and improving systems for program management/evaluation, program planning, function, and performance.
- Legal: Conduct ongoing assessment of liability of organization, ensure maintenance of appropriate levels of liability insurance, navigate legal issues as needed, review and sign major contracts, ensure CWHC is in accordance with Illinois state employment laws and federal lobbying/advocacy laws where applicable, maintain working knowledge of significant developments and trends in areas like non-profit reporting requirements and health care legislation/regulation.
- HR: Maintain working knowledge and seek counsel as needed to ensure sound HR policies and practices, guide personnel manual changes, coordinate renewal of staff group insurance and 403B management, work with Finance & Administrative Coordinator to ensure timely payment of payroll taxes and other requirements as needed.
Board Committee Liaison (10%)
- Support the effectiveness of CWHC’s Board Committee by planning and executing bi-monthly board meetings, communicating effectively with the board regarding CWHC’s activities, encouraging collaboration between board and staff, and building relationships with board members.
- Prepare and present financial reports for board on a quarterly basis.
- Support the Board Committee with the annual board recruitment, selection, and orientation process.
Collective Involvement (5%)
- Join ad-hoc committees as needed (based on interest and/or skill set or position).
- Review meeting minutes from all programs, to stay informed about health center activities.
- Provide feedback in the interest of improving health center services and culture.
- Participate in annual budget assessment process.
- Support CWHC through events attendance and community networking.
- Attend, actively participate, and vote (when eligible) in Collective Meetings (4 meetings per year).