Metropolitan Family Services empowers families to learn, to earn, to heal, to thrive. Part mentor, part motivator, part advocate, since 1857, Metropolitan Family Services has been the engine of change that empowers families to reach their greatest potential and positively impact their communities. Metropolitan is Illinois’ first comprehensive human services agency and reaches more than 72,000 individuals and families in Chicago, Evanston/Skokie, the southwest suburbs and DuPage County with services promoting education, economic stability, emotional wellness and empowerment.
We are now hiring for a Full-time Bilingual Teacher Assistant to join our Learning and Wellness Center Team!
The Bilingual Teacher Assistant functions as a member of the teaching team working with children aged 0-3 years of age. Additionally, assists team in implementing activities which support children in their social-emotional, cognitive and physical development and help maintain a safe environment.
Essential Job Functions:
- Caregiver in providing activities which support children in their social-emotional, cognitive and physical development, and helps maintain a safe environment.
- Participates in maintaining the emotional environment of the classroom by: respectfully and appropriately listening to and speaking with children, comforting children as needed, setting appropriate limits for children with reasonable consequences, and using positive reinforcement that supports the development of children’s self-help skills.
- Participates in promoting the cognitive development of children by contributing to the development and implementation of weekly individualized curriculum and lesson plans using Creative Curriculum and projects which include: literacy, dramatic play, science, math, fine and gross motor activities, open-ended art, and problem-solving.
- Assist in the maintenance of the physical classroom environment by completing daily health checks, a health and safety checklist, and cleaning/ sanitation checklist as assigned. Ensure that floors are swept and/or mopped as needed after meals and activities. Assist with meals and clean-up.
- Actively participate as a team member meetings, supporting center policies, development of team and center goals, supervision and Direct Service Team meetings as assigned.
- Use appropriate adult-child interactions including the use of open-ended questions, moderate tone of voice, respect for children’s individual learning and communication styles, provide assistance, comfort and encouragement as needed.