DOING THE MOST GOOD
Do you want to use your skills and talents to make a lasting difference in the world? The Salvation Army is the fourth largest charity in the United States and is an international organization based on Biblical principles created to help people in need. We are mission-driven, diverse, collaborative, and focused on positive results for people. Join us in making a difference.
POSITION TITLE: Meal Delivery Route Driver (Temporary Part-Time//21 hrs/wk)
LOCATION/DEPT: Golden Diners Nutrition Program
REPORTS TO: Fleet Coordinator
Under the general direction of the Fleet Coordinator, the Meal Delivery Route Driver is responsible for the delivery of meals to nutrition sites and elderly clients. It is necessary the Driver be familiar with the purpose and philosophy of the Program and in hearty accord with the same, namely:
To provide older Americans, 60 years of age and over, with low cost nutritionally sound meals. Promote better health among the older segment of our population through improved nutrition, reducing the isolation of old age and offering the older American the opportunity to live their remaining years in dignity.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Load meal carriers into and out of program vehicles.
- Deliver, unload and bring meals inside nutrition sites and/or to the door of a senior client.
- Take occasional meal temperatures and record according to procedure.
- Maintain accurate record of meals delivered.
- Hand in completed daily route sheets to Administrative Office.
- Assist clients needing emergency care or assistance by contacting appropriate person or care provider. Notify administrative office of any client who does not answer, are ill or having problems. Notify emergency personnel and administrative office for any client who is in need of acute medical care.
- Maintain client confidentiality at all times.
- Conduct occasional supply runs and deliveries.
- Schedule and deliver vehicle for maintenance when instructed by Fleet Coordinator or Program Director.
- All other duties as assigned.
In contacts related to this position's duties this individual acts as a representative of the Salvation Army and its mission.
Under general daily supervision of the Fleet Coordinator with some freedom to plan, schedule and carry out responsibilities within established policies and procedures.
This individual will be evaluated on how effectively the outcomes of this position are achieved, as well as the timeliness, accuracy and completeness of accomplishing assigned goals.
- High School diploma or GED equivalent preferred.
- Good driving record.
- Previous experience working with the older population helpful.
- Valid Drivers' License and able to pass the Salvation Army MVR check.
- Capable of following directions.
- A wholehearted acceptance of the idea of service to older Americans, displaying empathy, an understanding of their needs, abilities, idiosyncrasies and appreciation for the opportunity of serving them.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to use initiative and be a self- starter.
- A positive attitude and the ability to be flexible in light of changing job situations/priorities.
- Supportive of the mission of The Salvation Army.
This individual will only commit Army resources that have not been allocated or approved.
This individual will keep the Fleet Coordinator informed on all critical issues relating to her/his area of responsibility.
This individual will adhere to all Army policies and procedures in carrying out the responsibilities of this position.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
This position is required to do light to moderate physical work. Must be able to lift or move at least 20lbs.
In order to successfully perform the essential functions of this position, the employee is regularly required to operate a vehicle.
Must be able to walk up and down stairs and operate a vehicle.
The work environment for this position includes an office or outside environment with a low to high noise level.
May need to drive in inclement weather.
Non-Exempt/ Temporary Part-Time//21 hrs/wk