Museum Operations Support Team Member
Did you know there’s a planet in our galaxy where it rains glass? Or that light bounces around inside the Sun for 175,000 years before shooting off into space? If you think that’s freaking awesome, and you’re passionate about STEM, community outreach, education, and working in a welcoming environment, this might be the place for you!
The Adler Planetarium is seeking a Museum Operations Support Team Member to join our dynamic team located on Chicago's Museum Campus.
The Museum Operations Support Team assists in the daily operation of the museum and surrounding grounds. This team is responsible for:
- Set up and breakdown for museum and private special events
- Hanging and positioning temporary display items such as banners and holiday décor
- Coordinating and assisting with deliveries, snow removal, and grounds keeping
- Receiving and distributing mail to internal offices
- Assistance with exhibits and maintenance projects (non-skilled work) on an as-needed basis
Standard position hours will be 20 to 25 hours per week. Shifts are generally scheduled for Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays from 7 am to 4 pm. Hours and schedule may vary based on seasonal changes to museum hours of operation or special events.
We are looking for someone who is excited about the opportunity to assist in the day-to-day operations of a working museum. This person is flexible, team-oriented, and likes to work and think on their feet.
- Holiday, weekend and evening availability
- Prior experience with catering/events operations, custodial work, and/or building maintenance (strongly preferred)
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Able to carry and handle loads of up to 50lbs, move furniture and carts
- Able to use a ladder and/or lift with appropriate training
- Capable of working outdoor in various weather conditions
Work hours are dependent on facility needs. Much of the work will occur in the evening or on weekends. Holiday, weekend and evening availability is required.
The Museum Operations Support Team is part of the Adler Operations Department. The Operations Department is tasked with ensuring the maintenance, safety, and security of the Adler building, staff, and guests. The team is always looking for ways to improve our little piece of the universe through outstanding customer service, communication, and accountability.
The Adler Planetarium is dedicated to complying with its obligations as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Our recruiting and hiring procedures are free of discrimination based on race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, covered veteran status, including disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, other protected veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans or any protected group status as defined by law.