ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Oversees, coordinates and/or performs complex integrated activities of a specialized library service or area; plans, organizes, and implements the provision of services.
- Reviews, evaluates, analyzes and makes recommendations for service improvements and implementation.
- Creates or participates in the development and implementation of policies and procedures.
- Plans and prepares development of curriculum to improve student performance in reading and math
- Provides Bridge Instruction
- Responsible for project management in specialized library service or area; develops and establishes deadlines, goals, objectives, workflow and operational procedures.
- Prepares, administers and corrects evaluations and assessments, and record results.
- Selects and uses appropriate instructional strategies including, but not limited to, contextual learning, group discussions, demonstrations, modeling and multi-media teaching aids to present subject matter to students.
- Evaluates student progress using appropriate assessment techniques.
- Responsible for complex problem-solving by working with other library departments, vendors and other entities outside the library.
- Create an environment that provides for student involvement in the learning process and enables each student to achieve learning objectives.
- May maintain records, equipment inventories, compliance activities, and collection usage statistics.
- May provide training, instruction, liaison services and/or consultation including students, staff or faculty in the use of specialized services.
- Maintain accurate attendance and scholastic records of students.
- Use teaching methods designed for a variety of learning styles.
- May hire, supervise and train, student employees, volunteers and/or interns as appropriate.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Adult Education or related field
- Experience working with a diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural, disability and ethnic background of students.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to assess objectives and operational requirements and to develop and implement suitable operational policies and/or procedures.
- Ability to effectively communicate and foster a cooperative work environment.
- Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Ability to plan, organize and oversee the operations of a specialized library service or area
- Ability to develop, plan and implement short and long-range goals.
- Ability to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines and procedures.
- Ability to create, compose and edit written materials.
- Skill in the use of relevant database and/or integrated library systems.
- Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Ability to provide information to library customers in area of expertise.
- Ability to coordinate quality assurance programs in area of specialty.
- Knowledge of library principles, practices and terminology.
- Ability to make complex operating and procedural decisions.
- Project management skills and the ability to resolve complex problems and issues.
- Maintains professional knowledge base and skills through continued education and/or research.
Knowledge and experience with the history, assets and challenges associated with North Lawndale, Pilsen and Little Village.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret graphs. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interests, commissions, proportions and percentages.
Ability to read and comprehend simple to moderately complex instructions, general business correspondence and memos. Possesses excellent interpersonal skills, including a professional and courteous telephone manner. Welcomes input regarding work-related activities. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to supervisors and other employers.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to effectively carry out written or oral instructions in an expedient manner. Capable of recognizing critical events or needs and adjusting deadlines accordingly. Ability to deal with and analyze problems involving several concrete variables in and aside from standardized situations. Promotes the attitudes, conditions and environments that yield increased quality and content of individual and team performance.
Capable of effectively adjusting and coping with change and uncertainty in new situations and environments. Maintains accuracy and focus on detail in difficult situations. Ability to manage multiple tasks and modify objectives as needed. Seeks feedback and is open to coaching and criticism without being defensive.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Terms and Conditions:
- Position is full-time; 40 hours per week
- Some evenings and weekends may be required
- Competitive benefit package