ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The ideal candidate will be experienced in a custodian role focused on building upkeep. They will have great physical endurance to cover a large space. A keen eye for detail and diligence are imperative to the position. Essential duties and responsibilities include, and are not strictly limited to, the following:
- Ensure spaces are prepared for the next day by takin out trash, tidying furniture and dusting spaces
- Sweep and mop floors and vacuum carpets
- Wash and sanitize toilets, sinks and showers and restock disposables (i.e. soap)
- Wipe mirrors and windows
- Maintain outer premises by watering plants, mowing lawn, cleaning entrances
- Utilize insecticides to prevent infestation by dangerous pests
- Perform maintenance and minor repairs (replacing broken switches, fixing door handles, minor leaks, etc.)
- Report major damages and oversee repairs
- Secure facilities after operating hours by locking doors, closing windows and setting up the alarm
- Undertake occasional custodial and janitorial tasks (shoveling snow from the sidewalk, lifting heavy items, moving chairs etc.)
- Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Proven experience as custodian, janitor or in a similar role
- Knowledge of used and maintenance of industrial cleaning equipment and appliances
- Knowledge of safe disposal of chemical liquids and other hazardous components
- Familiarity with basic landscaping and handyman practices
- Attention to detail and conscientiousness
- Very good physical condition and strength
Knowledge and experience with the history, assets and challenges associated with North Lawndale, Pilsen and Little Village.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret graphs. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interests, commissions, proportions and percentages.
Ability to read and comprehend simple to moderately complex instructions, general business correspondence and memos. Possesses excellent interpersonal skills, including a professional and courteous telephone manner. Welcomes input regarding work-related activities. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to supervisors and other employers.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to effectively carry out written or oral instructions in an expedient manner. Capable of recognizing critical events or needs and adjusting deadlines accordingly. Ability to deal with and analyze problems involving several concrete variables in and aside from standardized situations. Promotes the attitudes, conditions and environments that yield increased quality and content of individual and team performance.
Capable of effectively adjusting and coping with change and uncertainty in new situations and environments. Maintains accuracy and focus on detail in difficult situations. Ability to manage multiple tasks and modify objectives as needed. Seeks feedback and is open to coaching and criticism without being defensive.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Terms and Conditions:
- Position is full-time; 40 hours per week
- Some evenings and weekends may be required
- Competitive benefit package