Early Head Start Home Visitor
Reports to the Home Visiting Programs Coordinator
Gads Hill Center, a social service organization established in 1898, creates opportunities for children and their families to build a better life through education, access to resources and community engagement.
The Early Head Start Home Visitor plans and implements educational activities for families with children ages birth to three years old. The home visitor delivers services in the home environment and in a socialization setting, modeling appropriate behaviors and empowering parents as the first teachers of their children. In this role, the home visitor also serves as a bridge to family support services and agency resources.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops and implements educational plans and activities to meet each individual family's needs according to the Creative Curriculum and the Parents as Teachers model.
- Works with families on a scheduled one-on-one weekly basis in their homes for at least 90 minutes, and during two monthly group socialization activities with all the families assigned.
- Assists parents in developing parenting skills, helping them to become the primary family educators and their children’s first teachers. Reinforces this concept with practical suggestions for its development.
- Conducts health checks during each visit, documenting findings and following-up as needed.
- Encourages parents involvement in and supports planning of monthly Parent Committee meetings
- Administers and interprets development assessment tools to assigned children within the required time frame, maintaining detailed, written documentation.
- Documents children’s growth and development using written observations, photography and assessment tools.
- Utilizes developmental screening tools to determine individual needs of children and assists in individualizing curriculum.
- Assists parents in identifying and fully utilizing available community resources. Utilize the assistance of the Family Support Staff, Mental Health Consultants, and other professionals to refer parents as needed.
- Assists with the recruitment of children for the program.
In addition to the responsibilities listed above, all Gads Hill Center employees are responsible for the following:
- Participate in agency outreach and recruitment events, including evenings and weekends.
- Participates in supervision meetings and workshops within the agency and outside (if applicable).
- Participates in civic engagement activities that advance the mission of Gads Hill Center.
- Advance parent leadership development.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Child Development Associate required. Associate’s Degree in Early Childhood Education or directly related field preferred.
- Previous early education and/or family support program experience preferred.
- Bi-lingual Spanish/English required
- Excellent interpersonal communication and organization skills.
- Ability to pass a criminal record and child abuse/neglect registry check.
- Valid Driver’s License and use of a dependable insured car required.
- A passion for the mission of Gads Hill Center.
Entry Salary Range: $27,000 per year
Schedule: Full time
Location: 4236 S. Archer Ave, Chicago
To apply, send resume, cover letter and transcripts by e-mail to:
Human Resources Department
Phone: 312-226-0963 x 239