Did you know there’s a planet in our galaxy where it rains glass? Or that light bounces around inside the Sun for 175,000 years before shooting off into space? That’s okay if you don’t – we have a team of staffers who do! But if you think science and space is freaking awesome, and you’re passionate about bringing your financial expertise to support STEM, community outreach, education, and working in a welcoming environment, this might be the place for you!
The Adler Planetarium is seeking a Controller to join our dynamic team located on Chicago's Museum Campus.
This highly visible position is responsible for the effective and efficient execution of all financial and reporting functions at the Adler. Key responsibilities include:
- Overseeing all financial processes and reporting
- Ensuring adherence to strong internal control practices and recommending opportunities for improvement
- Primary oversight and responsibility for annual audit of financial statements, single audit, benefit plans and preparation of tax return
- Developing and reporting key metrics in collaboration with IT to support strategic decision making
- Establishing and maintaining effective external and internal relationships
- Interacting and supporting the board Finance and Audit committees
- Supporting budget process and management of budget and actual data between accounting and budget systems.
- Executing special initiatives including the evaluation and upgrade or implementation of new general ledger, budget and reporting systems
- Managing and mentoring the Business Office team
The Controller will leverage progressive experience in all facets of accounting and reporting to provide exceptional support to colleagues at our leading edge cultural institution. The Adler has a wide range of activities beyond the museum visit. This environment offers the opportunity to have a meaningful impact on processes, and provides professional development and growth. The Controller possesses a demonstrated ability to initiate and manage projects and desire to collaborate with other team members at all levels.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or equivalent field
- Minimum five years of experience, including at least two years of supervisory experience
- Previous experience in public accounting
- Experience with nonprofit and federal grant reporting
- Knowledge of data analytics tools such as Tableau a plus
The Controller leads a vibrant team of qualified and enthusiastic accounting and administrative staff committed to providing stellar support to Adler colleagues in service of inspiring exploration of that mind-blowing thing we call our Universe.
The Adler Planetarium is dedicated to complying with its obligations as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Our recruiting and hiring procedures are free of discrimination based on race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, covered veteran status, including disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, other protected veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans or any protected group status as defined by law.