At MDA, we are fighting to free individuals — and the families who love them — from the harmful effects of muscle-debilitating diseases so they can live longer and grow stronger.
Our Values are our strength:
We believe in MUSCLE:
* Mission: We’re driven to accelerate progress for families and muscle health.
* Understanding: We’re attentive to our constituent’s needs and each other’s.
* Stewardship: By investing precious resources wisely, we drive the best possible outcomes.
* Collaboration: We foster win-win partnerships and build communities.
* Learning: Knowledge powers our success and empowers our people.
* Excellence: We strive to do our best and exceed constituents’ expectations.
The People Team intern will assist the entire People Team with core job functions. This intern will be given specific projects that will be his/her responsibility to assist with the success of the HR team. He/she will gain experience working directly with the People Business Partner, HR Specialist, and Senior Benefits Specialist. Duties will include assisting in recruiting, human resources, reporting, and on-boarding functions. They will provide assistance to the entire HR team and perform additional projects as needed. The objective of this internship is to provide a well-rounded, general introduction to Human Resources, Recruiting, and Benefits. The goal is that the HR intern will leave MDA with valuable professional and personal experience in the non-profit industry.
* Work directly with the Senior Benefits Specialist managing our HRIS system, running reports in ADP, and implementing the MDA wellness program
* Shadow the HR Specialist to learn about new hire on-boarding; collect HR documents and manage communication with new hires
* Assist team of six People Business Partners with recruiting, sourcing, and talent assessments
* Shadow People Business Partners with complex Employee Relations issues; help problem-solve according to MDA and legal guidelines
* Participate with Campus Recruiting, attend job-fairs and speak to prospective talent
* Learn to run reports in ADP and analyze data
* Conduct general HR tasks including filing, administrative work, scheduling, and job posting
* Perform other duties as needed
* Communication Skills: Clearly and persuasively communicate, listen and seek clarifications; participate in meetings, write clearly and informatively. Initiative - Demonstrate ability to work independently and as part of a team; exhibit sound and accurate judgment, including prioritization and time management skills.
* Customer Service: Prioritizes internal and external interactions, maintaining the highest standard of donor interactions and responding in a timely manner.
* Flexibility: Remains open-minded and changes opinions on the basis of new information; performs a wide variety of tasks and changes focus quickly as demands change; manages transitions from task to task effectively; adapts to varying customer needs.
* Professionalism: Work well in a fast-paced environment; treat others with respect and consideration; accept responsibility for own actions; positive/upbeat attitude.
* Junior/Senior working toward a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in related field.
* Candidates must understand the importance of confidentiality and discretion.
* Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to prioritize effectively, and attention to detail.
* Excellent customer service skills and the ability to multi-task, remain organized, and work in a fast paced environment.
* Interns should have basic knowledge of MS Office software to include Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
MDA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.