OUTREACH AND INFORMATION SPECIALIST (BILINGUAL SPANISH PREFERRED)
The Outreach and Information Specialist will conduct outreach for two statewide programs:
- SMP (Senior Medicare Patrol) program which empowers older adults and people with disabilities to prevent, detect, and report health care fraud and abuse.
- Make Medicare Work (MMW) program is to help older adults in Illinois access affordable health care and utilize their health care benefits effectively.
This person will build relationships with organizations serving Spanish-speaking older adults in order to educate this population about health care benefits and empower them to protect themselves against health care fraud. This person will also track and enter program data with an aim of accurately measuring impact and improving efficiency of both SMP and MMW.
What you will do in This Role
- Develop an outreach plan to engage and collaborate with community partners who serve Spanish speaking older adults
- Deliver clear presentations on health care benefits and fraud in a culturally and linguistically sensitive manner
- Counsel older adults on health care benefits and scams in Spanish and English
- Create engaging SMP and health care benefit materials in Spanish and English
- Manage the data related to SMP and MMW to assure it is up to date and accurately measures success
- Support the logistical needs for training and presentations for both SMP and MMW
What You Will Need for This Role:
- Bachelor's Degree and two years’ experience in communications, social services, community organizing or related area. OR high school graduate plus five years’ experience in communications, social services, community organizing or related area.
- Written and verbal fluency in both English and Spanish required. Bi-cultural candidates preferred Experience working in low-income and diverse communities is highly preferred.
- Ability to travel locally with valid driver’s license and proof of auto insurance required. This position will be located in Oak Park, IL but will involve regular travel throughout Cook County. Occasional travel outside of Cook County.
- Ability to respond to questions and complex or emotional situations tactfully and respectfully.
- Clear and powerful presentation skills with the ability to tailor messages to various audiences.
- Knowledge/ability to learn about Medicare and other health care programs, fraud and abuse, and benefits and programs that affect older adults.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines while working independently.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office software, and ability to learn AgeOptions’ client database.
AgeOptions innovates, partners, and advocates to improve systems and services in order to strengthen communities so people thrive as they age. AgeOptions is recognized nationally as a leader in developing and helping to deliver innovative community-based resources and options to older populations through our network of community agencies. Over 130,000 people are served annually. AgeOptions receives federal, state, corporate, foundation, and individual charitable contributions.
Our offices are conveniently located in downtown Oak Park near the Lake Street L Green line and Union Pacific west Metra train station. We offer a casual work environment with competitive salaries and strong benefit packages. To learn more about what we do, please visit our website at: www.ageoptions.org.
Have a Desire to join our team?
Interested persons please submit resume and cover letter. AgeOptions is an Equal Opportunity Employer, MFDV, older persons encouraged to apply. Please include salary history. No phone calls please. Please put Outreach and Information Specialist in email header.