Reports to: Executive Director
Revised: May 2017
Friends of the Chicago River seeks an Office Manager oversees the day to day operations of this award winning organization who will ensure that all systems are running efficiently and effectively and all employees have the tools they need to do their jobs well. The Office Manager must be extremely organized, capable of multitasking at all times, and be trustworthy and able to handle sensitive and highly confidential information. The right candidate will be friendly, proactive, loyal, and have experience supporting an executive director or similar position.
As the only organization exclusively dedicated to improving the Chicago River, Friends seeks an individual who is committed to the environment and views the river as an important part of the history, culture, and future of the Chicago region.
Finance and Administration
- Serve as organizational bookkeeper, maintaining FundEZ financial software on a regular basis
- Manage accounts payable process including review of incoming financial documentation and distribution to cost center managers for review and approval; process all invoices and reimbursements for payment through bookkeeping system; printing, sending and filing of payment checks; ensure timely processing of payments
- Manage accounts receivable process including working with staff to create and send invoices for services and sponsorships
- Review incoming bills and other financial documentation; distribute invoices to appropriate cost center managers for review and/or redistribution to key staff daily
- Create and distribute monthly cost center reports from the accounting system for staff
- Create month end statements for electronic payment methods, including credit card, ACH and EFT, for the accountants to prepare the month end close
- Review cash deposits and daily income reports from the development assistant, deposit cash funds into the bank, and record deposits in accounting system
- Ensure the office is running smoothly at all times and staff have the resources they need to achieve their goals
- Oversee the purchasing of office supplies
- Serve as main point of contact for office issues including office equipment, supplies, technology, and space
- Serve as ongoing liaison with the office of the building regarding ongoing space and building issues
- Serve as technology lead and work with consultants to proactively ensure that computers, servers and printers are properly functioning at all times
- Oversee the purchasing, leasing, support, maintenance of office equipment and vendor
- Oversee all vendors and contractors who service the organization including negotiating contracts in conjunction with the executive director and managing costs
- Ensure entire office is orderly and well managed
- Maintain and implement employee benefits programs. Inform employees of benefits by studying and assessing benefit needs; work with benefits broker to review benefits programs and create annual cash flow projections for employee and employer contributions; recommend benefit programs to executive director; manage enrollments and terminations of employees; educate the staff about benefits options and provide guidance throughout the year.
- Oversee the administration all personnel issues including orientation of new employees; ensure staff are adhering to office policies and procedures; oversee closure of benefits and compensation for exiting employees
- Manage monthly staff meetings which includes planning the agenda, soliciting program reports, providing meeting notices, and taking and circulating meeting minutes
- Oversee personnel month end activities including collection of timesheets and reimbursements
- Maintain and update master time off calendar for all staff; send quarterly updates to supervisors to ensure employees are taking their time
- By the direction of executive director, implement office policies that enhance and improve the work dynamic in the office
Assist executive director as requested.