Job Title: Producer, Free Spirit PRO
Reports To: Lead Producer of Free Spirit PRO
Supervises: Youth/Young Adult Participants/Interns (as assigned)
The Producer for Free Spirit PRO has an important role in the exciting world of Free Spirit Media (FSM). This dynamic individual must be part producer/shooter/editor, part visionary, part coach and mentor and part entrepreneur. To be successful, the Producer needs to be a team player, who can maintain focus, perspective, a positive attitude and attention to detail in a fast-paced, creative and youth/young adult-driven environment.
This job posting is for the Free Spirit PRO team, which engages advanced FSM youth and young adults in the production of high-quality projects for paying client and strategic partners. Please see www.freespiritpro.org for more information.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support Lead Producer in the pre-production, production and post-production of projects, including overseeing shooting and editing and engaging youth/young adults to participate at all points in the production
- Ensure product deliverables are on time, on budget and meet client expectations
- Support framework for youth/young adult engagement that establishes Free Spirit PRO as part of FSM’s strategy of providing professional and career pathways for our youth and alumni
- Collaborate with Lead Producer to engage and collaborate with staff, current students and alumni during productions
- Support Lead Producer in mentoring youth through FSM’s summer internship program, Flash Forward, for advanced high school and alumni participants
- Support Lead Producer with client relationships and logistics, including facilitating production crew and client meetings, staying on production timeline and budget and tracking hours
- Represent FSM in external/outreach settings, including with clients, other organizations, media industry professionals at conferences and workshops
- Track and submit youth/young adult hours for payroll and project hours for budget tracking
- Participate in organizational youth evaluation process
- Support FSM technology and media needs, including archiving media, ordering equipment and providing technical support to youth/young adult
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a media or production specific area or comparable professional experience
- 2+ years of experience producing media professionally (video, especially in genres of Documentary, Promotional, Event Production and/or PSA)
- 2+ years overseeing or coaching small production crew, especially those including youth or young adults
- Advanced shooting, editing, lighting and audio skills, preferably with advanced experience on Adobe Premiere
- Adobe After Effects experience preferred
- Passionate about youth and their education and inspiring youth voice and vision
- Experience or interest in engaging and working with youth and young adults, primarily ages 18-25
- Excellent people skills working in a diverse environment
- Excellent organizational abilities and capacity to manage multiple projects at a time
- Proven track record of innovation, creativity, problem-solving and taking initiative
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and a high level of computer literacy
This is a full-time position. Hours may exceed 40 hours a week. Occasional evening and weekend hours required. Regular access to a car is required.
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary: Competitive and commensurate with education and experience; Range $48,000 - $52,000
Benefits: Competitive package including healthcare, dental, and vision; IRA match after 1 year
Paid Time Off: 18 Paid Time Off days accrued during first year in addition to 16 paid holidays
Professional development: Funds available to support staff in achieving career objectives
For More Information:
Please visit https://freespiritmedia.org/about/careers.php.
Free Spirit Media is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse and equitable environment in which all staff can excel regardless of race, ethnicity, age, faith, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ability. People of color, women, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
About Free Spirit Media:
The mission of Free Spirit Media is to cultivate diverse youth voices to transform media and society. Free Spirit Media provides youth on Chicago’s South and West sides with a comprehensive foundation in media literacy and a hands-on media production experience through a youth development lens. We employ a holistic program model to develop youth into productive, connected, and engaged adults. Since our founding in 2001, Free Spirit Media has empowered more than 5,500 youth to share their stories, discover their potential, and engage their peers and communities through digital media. Free Spirit Media’s programming includes school-based media arts education, after school digital media programs, and advanced pathways programs that connect participants with opportunities in professional media industries. Participants at all ages and levels of our programming are supported in developing 21st Century skills that prepare them for success in college and careers. Please see freespiritmedia.org for more information.