Lawyers’ Committee for Better Housing (LCBH) believes that every individual and family is entitled to decent housing as a basic need and human right. For over 35 years, LCBH has been the only legal aid agency in Chicago focusing solely on advocating for renters. LCBH empowers renters and tenant unions through education and outreach to preserve affordable housing in Chicago. LCBH attorneys and pro bono partners provide free legal assistance to low and moderate-income renters facing eviction and other serious housing issues. LCBH programs holistically address both the immediate housing crisis and its underlying causes through legal and supportive services, so client families can maintain housing stability. LCBH also advocates for legislative changes and court reform, informed by client stories and eviction and foreclosure data.
LCBH seeks an attorney with litigation experience and ideally with experience and expertise in housing, who believes in housing rights for all, and is passionate about social and economic justice. The Pro Bono Coordinator manages the pro bono legal program, supporting and co-counseling with LCBH pro bono partners. The Pro Bono Program works collaboratively with the legal and development departments to increase awareness of the LCBH mission and interacts with a variety of stakeholders including law firms, volunteers, clients, and the general public.
- Provide legal advice and brief services to renters on housing issues
- Defend renters in eviction court
- Represent tenant unions in building court in order to improve or preserve affordable housing
- Obtain TRO’s to address constructive evictions such as lock-outs, utility shut-offs, and unsafe conditions
Volunteer Training and Supervision
- Co-counsel/supervise volunteer attorney eviction defense cases and attend court as necessary
- Develop training materials for volunteers and interns
- Conduct new volunteer trainings
- Coordinate orientation sessions for new law student interns
- Attend case acceptance meetings and identify cases to be placed with pro bono attorneys
- Build and maintain a library of sample pleadings and templates for volunteers
- Track volunteer hours and cases and report as necessary to funders and other stakeholders
- Co-counsel impact litigation/appeals with private bar pro bono partners
- Work with staff attorneys to identify pro bono needs and develop and implement new pro bono projects as necessary
- Build and maintain relationships with law firm pro bono programs
- Build and maintain relationships with law school public interest and externship programs
- Develop pro bono marketing and recruitment tools
- Publicize internship and volunteer opportunities
- Represent the agency at public interest and legal aid outreach events
- Conduct outreach to other legal aid providers and community-based organizations
- Write periodic newsletter articles about pro bono volunteers and cases
To apply please submit your resume and a thoughtful cover letter. Please include "Pro Bono Coordinator" in the subject line.
LCBH is a 501(c)(3) organization and does not receive funding from the Legal Services Corporation. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.