About Our Organization
At Youth Guidance, we believe that no matter what challenges a young person faces, they are more likely to succeed when they have caring adults in their lives. Our highly-trained staff guides kids to overcome the life and academic challenges facing Chicago’s and Boston's youth. We meet kids where they are — physically and emotionally — to help them focus on their education, make positive choices, and remain on the right path toward life success. Founded in 1924 today Youth Guidance is a leading provider of outcomes-driven programs serving more than 8,500 youth while touching the lives of more than 14,000 youth, parents, teachers, and community members.
Becoming A Man (B.A.M.) Counselors are responsible for guiding young men in grades 7 – 12 to learn, internalize, and practice social skills, make responsible decisions for their future, and become positive members of their school and community. B.A.M. Counselors do this by providing the young men with the mindsets, values and abilities they need to develop into healthy, responsible young men and thrive.
- Work in collaboration with B.A.M. Supervisor and school administration to recruit and build relationships with up to 60 school-based youth to participate in the B.A.M. program.
- Lead and facilitate 4 – 5 weekly A.M. groups during the school-day, utilizing youth engagement, clinical counseling and men’s rites of passages skills.
- Provide individualized supports to all A.M. participants, and provide individual, family and crisis counseling sessions to students on an as needed basis.
- Participate in monthly staff development trainings and team meetings on the evidence-based B.A.M. curriculum and other topics relevant to working with youth.
- Participate in supervision and coaching to ensure fidelity of program delivery.
- Document all interactions with youth, including group and individual case notes, clinical assessments, brief encounters, special events, program consents, pre/post surveys and monthly program narratives based on program protocol.
- Work jointly with B.A.M. Supervisor to manage an annual program budget to plan and execute field trips and special events for students throughout school year and summer.
- Collaborate with school administration, teachers, and other Youth Guidance programs to provide, and participate in professional development sessions.
- Collaborate and/or coordinate services with the Local School Council, Youth Guidance Parent Family Engagement team and school parent engagement team.