We are pleased to announce the following openings for a Resident Assistant:
Community Center, located in Wheaton Il. The hours alternate on a weekly basis. One week (5 days) the hours are 7A-3P, the next week (5 days) the hours are 2P-10P. The position works every other weekend.
Group Homes, various locations throughout DuPage County. The hours are 2P-10P working either Tuesday through Saturday or Sunday (7A-3P) and Monday through Thursday (2P to 10P).
These roles involves working with clients who reside in a long term group home setting.
• Provides assistance to adult clients, with serious mental illnesses, in learning independent living skills, using various methods of role modeling and motivational interviewing, demonstrating and assisting with tasks such as making a shopping list, preparing meals or following recipe instructions
• Provides education and direction on proper hygiene and grooming and demonstrates housekeeping skills
• Monitors overall personal safety of residents including crisis intervention
• Participates and encourages clients with individual and group recreational activities such as sewing, cooking and art
• Monitors medication effectiveness and may observe clients taking medications
• Assists in facilitating transportation including assisting clients in attending all scheduled appointments
• Performs tasks related to maintaining environmental standards in residential facilities and vehicles
• Maintains records, according to health department policies and assists in managing clients’ financial accounts
• Maintains confidentiality of privileged information and adheres to client privacy laws
• Participates in emergency activities as assigned
Two years of experience in social services, health care, or the mental health field, or an equivalent combination of experience and/or training, including relevant higher education in psychology, social work, counseling, or a related health field. Some skill in understanding the problems, needs, and motivations of mentally ill clients, and/or willingness to be trained in these skills.
Preferred candidate will have excellent communication skills; some knowledge of the policies and procedures of a residential program; working skill in using a personal computer and applicable software; working skill in performing clerical duties and operating related office equipment; some skill in the preparation of records. Must be able to occasionally lift or move up to 10 pounds.
Must possess a valid State of Illinois Driver’s license and good driving record.
New employees must attend a week-long New Employee Orientation program on the first shift (8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.).
DuPage County Health Department strives to offer quality health services with courtesy and respect for our diverse population. Our goal, which is achieved through education, collaboration and access to care, is to safeguard the health of all residents.
DuPage County Health Department is an equal opportunity employer.