BASIC FUNCTION: The Development Director's prime function is to manage the organizational fundraising plan through research, solicitation and acknowledgment of private and public donors in coordination with Mujeres’ Leadership.
REPORTS TO: PRESIDENT & CEO
Position Summary: The Director of Development is part of a dynamic team of senior managers committed to Mujeres’ mission to support Latinas and their families. The Director of Development is responsible for all aspects of the Mujeres’ fundraising plan that focuses on creating a culture of philanthropy throughout the organization. Mujeres’ leadership recognizes that creating a robust organization requires looking creatively at the entire mix of revenue with philanthropy as part of the equation for success. With this in mind, the role of Director of Development will be a key member of a developing a new approach to a comprehensive funding strategy. As a member of Mujeres’ leadership team, the Director of Development will direct the development staff, integrate strategic goals and operational planning for a comprehensive development program that includes developing resources and relationships in order to ensure organizational impact and sustainability. The Director of Development also manages the overall communications strategy of the organization.
The Director of Development will manage a team of professionals who supports the following activities: corporate and foundation relations, special events, and prospect research/database management. The successful candidate will ensure that the best practice policies are in place and that there is a strong infrastructure to support a robust development office. The primary source of funding has been from state, federal and local governments. There is great interest in increasing support from all possible sources with a particular desire to institute moves management to grow support from individual donors and expand the number of corporate and foundation resources. Enhancing the annual fund in order to meet the need to raise annual goal, strengthening grants and sponsorship programs as well as in-kind donations is expected. While the Director of Development will personally manage a portfolio of prospective individual donors, corporations and foundations, the objective is to have the Mujeres’ leadership (President and Board members) engaged in donor cultivation and solicitation. Thus, the Director of Development will identify prospects and support Mujeres’ leadership in their cultivation, stewardship and solicitation activities.
· Develop, cultivate and evaluate the annual development plan in order to meet and exceed fundraising goals.
· In partnership with the Mujeres’ Leadership Team, serve as the primary voice for building an institutional culture of philanthropy. In doing so, identify and train more Mujeres’ Ambassadors who can serve as advocates for both fundraising and programmatic development purposes.
· Identify prospects for the President and Board members and support their cultivation, stewardship and solicitation efforts.
· Create the necessary infrastructure to ensure a stable department and supported anticipated growth in philanthropic activities.
· Establish a monthly communications calendar which includes print and social media, e-communications, publications, appeal requests and more to increase the overall organizational visibility. The calendar should coincide with the annual development plan.
· Oversee all Mujeres’ messaging and branding throughout the organization and externally by creating internal processes.
· Stay updated about issues affecting Latino communities and provide guidance to Development Team and Mujeres’ Leadership to elaborate quick responses.
· Benchmark and report decision support data to the Board of Directors.
· As a member of the leadership team, contribute to the development and achievement of Mujeres’ strategic and annual operating plans.
· Research prospective private and public sources and fundraising trends to increase the Mujeres’ donor base, capacity and continuity. This includes prospect research, stewardship and outreach.
· Write proposals to select donor prospects.
· Collaborate with the Finance team to prepare annual organization and program budgets, and to identify program funding needs throughout the year.
· Monitor and report progress against goals and coordinate communications and proposals with actual and prospective public, private and individual donors.
· Manage and expand Mujeres’ capacity to grow the base of donor support in all areas including individual gifts, annual fund, and prospect and database management.
· Collaborate with President and Board of Trustees on any fundraising campaigns.
· Serve as a staff liaison for events management, including the annual Voces Unidas Annual Benefit.
· Supervise, evaluate and mentor Development Department staff.
· Oversee gift acknowledgement processes and management of the donor database.
· Prepare annual revenue and expense budget projections for the Development department.
· Monitor and report periodically on the status of income and expenses.
· Perform appropriate duties as assigned by President.
· Knowledge and commitment to the mission of Mujeres Latinas en Acción.
· Proven ability to lead and work effectively horizontally and vertically.
· Previous experience with Microsoft Office, Adobe and fundraising software.
· Expert knowledge in business and fundraising management principles and technology.
· Demonstrated ability to influence diverse people to meet goals and deadlines, build and manage teams and work collaboratively with senior leadership, Board members, consultants, colleagues and volunteers.
· Exceptional oral and written communications skills required for the effective delivery of Mujeres’ vision, mission and brand.
· Bilingual English/Spanish is preferred.
· Must be able to plan, prioritize, organize and execute multiple initiatives simultaneously and independently.
· Employee must be able to sit and stand for extended periods of time; carry, lift, push or pull up to 35 pounds.
· Requires the ability to manually operate business machinery.
· Flexible hours are required for this position.
· Travel within the U.S. with advance notice may be required.
· Access to car is required.
· There is minimal environmental exposure.
Additional Salary Information: Submit cover letter, resume and salary requirements to Maggie Chavez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Mujeres Latinas en Accion
Mujeres Latinas en Acción empowers Latinas through providing services which reflect their values and culture and being an advocate on the issues that make a difference in their lives.