Introduction We seek to hire an energetic individual to assist in the expansion of LCA’s educational programming, and to oversee communications on all aspects of LCA’s programs and events. The position is appropriate for attorneys, for individuals with marketing and project management experience, and for individuals who have experience developing seminars and symposia. Recognizing that few have experience in all three areas, we seek an individual strong in at least one, capable of working in the others, and with the ability to help us to develop exciting programs produced at a professional level.
Description of Position This is the first time in many years that LCA has created an entirely new staff position. The position will be instrumental in helping us realize our vision for greatly expanded educational programs in three distinct areas: (1) a Video Law Library of filmed lectures on arts law topics to assist volunteer lawyers in representing LCA arts clients; (2) LCA’s LawSmarts program of outreach educational programs into diverse areas of the arts community; and (3) programs on topics of interest to artists, arts lovers, lawyers and others committed to protecting and promoting free expression. The Assistant Director will report to the Executive Director and will work closely with our three-person full-time staff, part-time Staff Attorney and interns.
Principal functions of the job:
· Organize and manage ongoing activities in all three educational programs, and more specifically:
- Manage all aspects of the Video Law Library: filming, editing and post-production, collection and posting of secondary sources, and managing access by viewers including those seeking Continuing Legal Education credit;
- Assist in identifying opportunities for seminars to an arts audience;
- Create and implement marketing and publicity for the above.
· Assist in developing other unique and timely programs and speaking engagements in partnership with other presenting organizations.
· Expand LCA’s outbound communications about all aspects of its programs.
· Help to expand LCA’s presence as a go-to voice about arts law issues in digital and print media.
· Help to revamp LCA’s website as a focal point for all its activities.
· Assist in a limited number of fundraising and networking events, including LCA’s Annual Benefit Luncheon and Volunteer Appreciation event.
· Assist in preparation of proposals for financial support of LCA.
Thank you for your interest in this position at LCA!
Skills & Qualifications:
Qualifications for the position: This position will be at the center of LCA’s ambitious educational programing on topics at the intersection of law, arts and culture and business. The successful applicant will have a comfort level in discussions about those issues, and the capability to manage complex projects to bring these programs to the public. Individuals with aptitude in legal, marketing and production will find this a challenging and exciting position – although advanced degrees in these areas is not required. Facility with basic office software such as MS Office Suite is necessary, and capabilities in related programs such as Adobe Creative Cloud programs is a plus.
Additional Salary Information: Negotiable based on experience
About Lawyers for the Creative Arts
LCA is a nonprofit that works to foster a vibrant arts community by providing artists and arts organizations with critical legal services and educational programs that would otherwise be out of their financial reach. Our clients cover a huge range of artistic activities – dance, music, theatre, film, literary, arts education, and others. They come to us for a similarly broad range of free and reduced cost legal services and educational programs.
We are the only legal services organization in the State of Illinois (and only the second in the country) whose mission is directed entirely to fulfilling the legal needs of the arts community. We have been in business for 46 years, and are supported by public and private foundations, companies, law firms and many individuals.
We have three boards totaling over 100 people who support LCA and our clients through their personal involvement and financial support. Our Annual Benefit Lunch draws ~400 people from the legal and arts communities to support LCA and to celebrate those who make a difference to the arts.
LCA’s office is in the trendy and artistic Near North neighborhood. We pride ourselves on a casual, highly collegial – an...d busy -- work environment. The huge diversity of our activities requires a staff that enjoys working together and interacting with many people in the arts, business and legal fields.