barrett-TECH is a for-profit technology consulting company that serves not-for-profit independent schools.
The Technology Associate assists the IT Director (owner of the company) to support the technology and people of independent schools served. 75% of the time will be in support of one client and remaining 25% supporting other clients and assisting with internal projects for the company.
Day to day tasks will always be split between doing work to support the technical environment and helping people to utilize it. The technical depth of the work will initially depend on the candidate’s skills coming into the job. This skill set should grow over time allowing the candidate to assist in supporting previously unfamiliar technologies as well as helping staff and students to utilize it.
Examples of Technologies Supported
End User Computing Equipment (primarily Macs and some Windows notebooks, iPads, iPods)
Other equipment (e.g. printers, copiers, telephones, projectors, TVs, Apple TVs, etc.)
Local Applications (e.g. MS Office, supportive learning applications)
Cloud–Based File Applications (e.g. Google Drive/Docs, Typing Software)
Cloud-Based Services (e.g. OpenDNS for web filtering, Posthaven for Blogs)
Examples of Support Provided
Troubleshoot and resolve equipment issues
One-on-one assistance to staff and students
Small group training
System administration of cloud services
Query and report development support to staff
Required Skills for the Position
Below are attributes that are required to be successful in this position
Detail oriented and organized. Gets things done correctly
Trustworthy and maintains confidentiality with sensitive information
Comfortable working with computers and web-based applications
Honest and genuine
Personable, courteous and friendly
Finds joy and fun in the work itself and those they work with
Very good written and oral communication skills
Able to adjust communication to meet the understanding of the listener
Open to and interested in learning new technical skills including hardware, software and online services
Experiences of Interest (but not necessarily required)
Experience providing technical (or other type of) support
Formal experience teaching others, children and/or adults
Formal customer service experience
Experience writing or recording (video) instructions
Experience in education and any connections/experience with Montessori
Any/all experience with the technologies earlier
If you find this to be an interesting opportunity and feel you meet the “Required Skills for the Position”, please submit your resume and just as importantly, a cover letter. Talk about yourself and why you may be a good fit for the position. Also, identify any gaps you perceive between your skills/experience and those listed above.
Additional Salary Information: Rates above assume no healthcare benefits. If insurance is required, it can be discussed.
barrett-TECH serves as the technology department to independent schools who have no professional IT staff. We have the unique ability and willingness to work at all levels (e.g., strategic planning through training and help desk) across the vast technology landscape (e.g., the latest cloud services to the more mundane computer repair). The result is a vendor for schools that fulfills the vast majority of their technology service and training needs, allowing staff to focus on their jobs and reducing the number of vendors they must manage and rely upon to support their technology.