The American Library Association (ALA) is seeking a full-time Assistant Director for Individual Donors to work in our Development Office. This is a new role for the Association, and the person will have a key role in helping to create a major gifts program for ALA. We are looking for an outstanding fundraiser with strong writing, communication and relationship building skills to join our team at our Chicago headquarters.
Reporting to the Director of the Office, the successful candidate will have five main areas of responsibility:
• Work with the Development Director to help build a new major gifts program at ALA.
• Manage all aspects of the donor pipeline, including prospect identification, cultivation, making an ask, and stewardship.
• Work with the Development Office and ALA staff and members to develop a strategy to engage members and staff in fundraising cultivation, asks and stewardship.
• Work with the Development Office team to to develop a set of appropriate cases for major gift asks.
• Work collaboratively with all members of the ALA Development team to help build a culture of philanthropy amongst ALA staff and members.
SALARY: Negotiable from the mid 60s; based on relevant experience. ALA has an excellent benefit package that includes medical, dental, generous paid vacation and retirement annuity.
Apply online including cover letter and resume
(Additional documents are uploaded on the same screen as your resume)
Please send cover letter and resume to:
American Library Association Human Resources Department Ref: asssistdirIindividualDevOffice Email: firstname.lastname@example.org fax: 312-280-5270
The American Library Association is an equal opportunity employer: Disability/Veteran.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in non-profit fundraising, sales or marketing. Experience fundraising from individual donors. Minimum of 5 years relevant experience. Excellent writing and oral communication skills; experience developing proposals and/or decks that describe a project; able to communicate an excitement about the value of libraries through in person and through writing; experience with Salesforce, iMIS or other relationship management database; experience with Drupal a plus; creative thinker; detail oriented and a team player.
Internal Number: 18-0019
About American Library Association - Chicago, IL
The American Library Association (ALA) is the oldest and largest library association in the world.Founded in 1876, our mission is to share our vision of the importance of libraries, literacy and free access to information.ALA offers professional services and publications to members and nonmembers, including online news stories from American Libraries and analysis of crucial issues from our Washington Office. Our main office is located in the heart of Chicago's Gold Coast, right off of Michigan Ave, with satellite offices in Washington, DC, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania.