All applications must be submitted on the Planned Parenthood website: https://jobs.lever.co/ppil/ea9e2468-aaa0-4ceb-9261-5dfc3b0d6ac3?lever-origin=applied&lever-source%5B%5D=NPO
Or visit ppil.org/careers
The Accounting and Payroll Coordinator supports the Finance department by performing account reconciliations on significant accounts, journal entry postings, financial reporting, account analysis and general ledger maintenance, as well as special projects. This position works under the supervision of the General Accounting Manager.
1. General ledger oversight, including balance sheet and income statement review and analysis, account reconciliation and prompt resolution of reconciling items.
2. Manage the Agency payroll process, including, but not limited to: a. Perform weekly accumulation and review of employee timesheets for payroll; work with supervisors to ensure accuracy of timesheets and compliance with company policies.
b. Complete payroll processing bi-weekly, including maintenance of the payroll helpdesk.
c. Prepare bi-weekly payroll journal entries to record payroll activity to the general ledger.
d. Serve as a liaison between finance and human resources regarding payroll, paid time off, and various other policies and procedures.
e. Actively participate in enhancements to the payroll process, including implementing new features of the payroll system.
3. Prepare journal entries and maintain account reconciliations as part of the monthly close process, including, but not limited to: a. Payroll accruals b. Fringe benefits and flexible spending accounts c. Bank activity d. Investments e. Restricted and unrestricted revenues f. Allocations of Title X and other private funding g. Payroll and flexible spending bank account reconciliations
4. Review and approve journal entries as appropriate.
5. Manage employee expense reporting, including maintenance of Expense Management in the payroll system, review of expense reports for proper documentation and general ledger account coding, and approval of expense reports for reimbursement.
6. Work with Finance management to identify process improvements within the Finance team and assist in implementation of finance policies and procedures. Prepare and deliver trainings and presentations to other departments, Senior Management Team, and the Board or Board Committees as needed.
7. Through these activities demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to PPIL core values of access, activism, care, confidentiality, diversity, excellence, integrity, respect, self-determination, and stewardship; practice these values in relations with internal and external customers.
1. Assist in training the health center and administrative staff on related finance policies and procedures, including, but not limited to, payroll, time and attendance, paid time off and expense reimbursement.
2. Assist in preparation of the annual financial audit, including financial statements (Consolidated Audit, A-133, DHS Grant report) and annual tax return filings.
3. Organize the Finance department’s work to meet scheduled monthly close deadlines.
4. Review, investigate and correct errors and inconsistencies in financial entries, documents and reports.
5. Provide training and technical guidance to the other staff in the finance department.
6. Maintain the fixed assets sub ledger and perform fixed asset reconciliations; prepare monthly journal entries to record depreciation.
7. Prepare cash deposits for donations, insurance receipts and patient payments.
8. Maintain administrative office petty cash.
9. Assist in special projects as needed; other duties as assigned.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, talk, speak, and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands and fingers to handle, type, or feel and reach. The employee is regularly required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Supervisor: General Accounting Manager
Status: Full-time, Exempt from the overtime provisions of the wage and salary guidelines.
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in accounting is required.
Experience: Three to five of progressive accounting, including payroll, experience is required. Experience in a large to mid-sized public accounting firm, with a background in not-for-profit or health care strongly preferred. CPA strongly preferred.
Professional Qualities: Proficient in Microsoft products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook is required, and knowledge of NetSuite is preferred. Effective written and oral communication skills to work with all levels of the Agency.
Strong knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and internal controls required. Comprehensive understanding of accounting procedures, experience and demonstrated abilities for working in a fast paced, multi-cultural setting. Strong organizational skills, accurate, and detail-oriented. Ability to work well both independently and with others and to respond sensitively to clients, staff, and volunteers.
Ability to organize, direct, prioritize and delegate tasks appropriately; ability to supervise, lead, instruct and develop employees. Ability to meet strict deadlines.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra.
Planned Parenthood works affirmatively to include diversity among its workforce and does not discriminate in the selection of its staff based on factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, income, marital status or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law. We encourage diverse candidates to apply for this position.
About Planned Parenthood of Illinois
We are a trusted health care provider, an informed educator and a passionate advocate. Planned Parenthood of Illinois' 17 health centers throughout the state deliver vital health care services, sex education, and sexual health information to more than 60,000 women and families each year.
For nearly 90 years, building healthy communities has been Planned Parenthood's mission. Everyday, Planned Parenthood of Illinois helps all kinds of people get the health tools and information—and above all the care and compassion they need—to prevent unintended pregnancies or to plan for families when they are ready.