Accion helps neighborhood entrepreneurs grow by providing the coaching, capital, and connections that small business owners need to create jobs and wealth in communities throughout Illinois and Indiana.
Position: Community Small Business Lender
The Community Small Business Lender is a salaried, exempt position that reports to the Director of Community Lending. A Community Small Business Lender is responsible for articulating Accion’s products and services to clients and partners, generating client leads, and guiding entrepreneurs through the loan process for the organization’s largest-sized loans.
• Fund at least the budgeted number of loans per month
• Contribute to a net surplus each year
• Nurture trusted relationships with entrepreneurs, community leaders, financial institutions, referral partners, other service providers
• Articulate and then consistently deliver clear messages for who we serve, the value we provide, and how we deliver that value effectively
• Learn how we can best serve prospective borrowers by listening carefully to their needs, analyzing business data provided by the small business owner, and recommending a reasonable amount to lend
• Understand internal risk and operational policies and procedures in order to provide entrepreneurs with efficient service
• Resolve customer issues resulting from tensions between client expectations and organizational risk policies
• Measure the value we provide entrepreneurs effectively by ensuring that staff carefully capture key data
• Refer interested clients to our Director of Coaching and Connections who will serve our clients through one-on-one mentoring
• Develop and then share client stories and data with the Development and Communications teams to support fundraising and messaging
• Promote a culture of client service excellence, continuous learning, and teamwork
• Serve as a mentor to the Community Lending team • Perform other duties flexibly and creatively as needs arise
Accion requires its staff to:
• Solve problems creatively
• Manage time efficiently
• Attend to details meticulously
• Communicate effectively in writing and verbally
• Collaborate flexibly with colleagues in a diverse and changing environment
• Believe strongly in Accion’s mission
The Community Lender should have experience in:
• Community development • Small business lending (SBA Community Advantage experience is preferred)
• Client service
How to Apply:
Email Jobs@accionchicago.org with a resume and cover letter. Please include the position title in the subject line. No phone calls please.
About Accion Chicago
Accion in Illinois & Northwest Indiana is a certified Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI), SBA microlending intermediary, and SBA Community Advantage lender. We provide loans ranging from $500 up to $100,000 to qualified borrowers.