All applications must be submitted on the Planned Parenthood website: https://jobs.lever.co/ppil/466c8233-93b9-4242-9ee3-95a827e1c4c5?lever-origin=applied&lever-source%5B%5D=NPO
Or visit ppil.org/careers
This position will work out of the Austin Health Center (5937 W Chicago Ave) several days a week, and travel to schools and events throughout the city of Chicago several days a week.
The STI/HIV Specialist will assist ongoing efforts by Planned Parenthood of Illinois (PPIL) and the Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) to prevent transmission of sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and HIV, particularly among teens and young adults in Chicago.
1. Practice a customer-oriented approach to health care delivery. Ensure through a professional and open manner that each patient receives the care and information he/she needs
2. Provide pre and post-test counseling for STIs and HIV in Chicago schools, colleges, and community organizations. Have working knowledge of how to address common sexual health concerns and communicate factually about relevant health topics
3. Provide on-site testing for Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) and pregnancy at various locations throughout the Chicago area
4. Provide accurate, non-directive counseling and information for informed consent for STI and pregnancy testing
5. Collect lab specimens, prepare laboratory requisition forms and prepare specimens for processing at Planned Parenthood’s designated laboratory following established policies and procedures
6. In accordance with CLIA and OSHA guidelines, demonstrate proficiency in use of routine laboratory tests, such as Urine GC/CT, Rapid HIV, pregnancy tests, and venipuncture. Follows all established laboratory safety practices
7. Assist in the clerical and informational tasks related to proper follow-up of patients according to the protocols and procedures of PPIL by assisting in the notification of positive STI/HIV results, scheduling return visits and ensuring timely and adequate treatment of patients with positive test results
8. Assist clinical staff in timely reporting of all cases of Chlamydia and Gonorrhea to CDPH and IDPH in accordance with Illinois regulations
9. Participate, as assigned, in routine medical records audits and quality assurance procedures
10. Facilitate group presentations regarding reproductive health
11. Take personal responsibility to remain informed about family planning methods, abortion and other services offered by PPIL, and PPIL protocols, policies and procedures, to give regular feedback to the STI/HIV Testing Program Manager regarding training and continuing education needs
12. Through these activities demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to PPIL core values of access, activism, care, confidentiality, diversity, excellence, integrity, respect, self-determination, and stewardship; practice these values in relations with internal and external customers
13. Other duties as assigned
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, talk, and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands and fingers to handle, or feel and reach. The employee is required to be in contact with and use bleach on a daily basis. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Supervisor: STI/HIV Program Manager
Status: Full time. Non-exempt from the overtime provisions of the wage and salary regulations.
Qualifications: Education: High School Diploma or GED. Certified Medical Assistant or equivalent experience preferred. Additional training and/or education in reproductive health is desirable.
Experience: Previous professional experience with the provision of family planning services, including one year of laboratory or healthcare experience is preferred.
Personal & Professional Qualities: Commitment to the efficient and customer-oriented provision of services, as well as a commitment to the operating goals of Planned Parenthood of Illinois.
Excellent communication skills. Ability to communicate with patients, the public, staff, and volunteers in a professional, warm, and sensitive manner. Bi-lingual ability in Spanish is preferred.
High energy level, organizational skills, ability to multi-task, and attention to detail is critical. Willingness to participate in a team approach to health care.
Ability to work well under minimal supervision. Capable of reading, understanding, and following oral and written instructions. Able to appropriately recognize problems and resolve issues.
Must be willing and able to work a schedule that may include evening and weekend hours, and to work at other PPIL centers if needed.
Must be willing and able to travel throughout the Chicago area
Planned Parenthood works affirmatively to include diversity among its workforce and does not discriminate in the selection of its staff based on factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, income, marital status or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law. We encourage diverse candidates to apply for this position.
About Planned Parenthood of Illinois
We are a trusted health care provider, an informed educator and a passionate advocate. Planned Parenthood of Illinois' 17 health centers throughout the state deliver vital health care services, sex education, and sexual health information to more than 60,000 women and families each year.
For nearly 90 years, building healthy communities has been Planned Parenthood's mission. Everyday, Planned Parenthood of Illinois helps all kinds of people get the health tools and information—and above all the care and compassion they need—to prevent unintended pregnancies or to plan for families when they are ready.