POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT: Executive Director, Meals on Wheels Durham
Headquartered in Durham, North Carolina
The Board of Directors of Meals on Wheels Durham (MOWD) seeks an Executive Director to lead its county-wide efforts in fulfilling its mission of enhancing the quality of life for seniors, peoples with disabilities, and other eligible community members who are unable to provide proper nutrition for themselves by delivering meals, offering personal interactions, and providing other complementary services.
Meals on Wheels Durham was founded in 1975 and is an active and respected affiliate of Meals on Wheels America. It currently serves more than 500 Durham County residents each weekday—over 130,000 meals in the last year alone. There are, however, significant unmet needs. Durham County has more than 60,000 residents age 60 and older. Based on income level, approximately 12,600 of those residents are at risk of food insecurity. We are looking for a strategic and compassionate leader to help ensure more people can be served.
MOWD has a board of 12, staff of 8, and over 250 dedicated and passionate volunteers. Its operating budget of $1,050,000 is funded though government contracts (48%), private pay clients (7%), private donations (31%), and foundations (14%).
After ten years and significant growth in individuals served, the current Executive Director is retiring. The organization is strong and ready for a leader to continue to build on the positive foundation that has been laid.
MOWD is located in Durham, a vibrant, complex, diverse and fast-growing county of approximately 275,000. Durham is part of the larger Research Triangle region of North Carolina, with a metro population of over 2,100,000. Durham and the Triangle are consistently cited as one of the country’s best places to live and do business.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director of Meals on Wheels Durham leads the organization in executing all aspects of its mission. Chief among all responsibilities is championing the mission of MOWD, building capacity to serve more people, and leading positive relationships among staff, volunteers, and the community. The Executive Director will be called upon to fulfill the following key responsibilities:
• Leadership and Strategy: Serve as the primary advocate, visionary, fundraiser, and spokesperson for the organization. Develop relationships and a strong understanding of the organization’s impact with volunteers, clients, government officials, partner organizations, donors, and prospective donors with a constant focus on strategically expanding the number of clients served. Be a champion for Durham and be actively engaged in local community activities. Ensure a deep understanding of local and national trends related to the Meals on Wheels network including North Carolina Association on Aging and the North Carolina Center for Nonprofits.
• Operational and Financial Oversight: Oversee the financial integrity of MOWD, ensuring the strategic creation of and adherence to the budget, diligently following approved financial policies and accounting ethics and best practice. Think creatively and analytically about how to increase the impact of the organization. Manage all aspects of human resources and operations, which includes the facility and equipment.
• Staff Management and Volunteer Oversight: Build a positive work culture that supports a productive, professional work environment. Oversee the hiring, training, supervision, and evaluation of MOWD staff. Ensure staff members work effectively toward shared goals and a unified vision for the organization. Work with staff to ensure a positive volunteer experience to ensure the retention of volunteers and make MOWD a volunteer destination of choice.
• Resource Development: With support from the Director of Development, lead resource development efforts, strategically engaging the Board in the fundraising process. Ensure short- and long-term fundraising plans are developed and executed. Advocate for government partnerships and support. Actively grow funding from individuals, foundations, and corporations.
• Communications: Build the MOWD brand to expand the reach, engage volunteers, and leverage financial, programmatic, and fundraising opportunities available to the organization. Guide all communications including newsletters, impact reports, the website, social media, and other general communications to ensure the highest level of professionalism and alignment of the brand with the MOWD vision.
• Board Governance: In collaboration with the Board, identify, recruit, train, and retain highly effective board members. Maintain regular communications with the Board of Directors and provide them with the necessary support, counsel, and information required for effective governance. Ensure a quality process for supporting the board and their involvement in fundraising, strategic planning, program delivery, and increasing overall visibility.
ATTRIBUTES OF THE NEW LEADER
The new leader must demonstrate a firm commitment to and passion for MOWD’s mission and the diverse client base that we serve in Durham County. In addition, he or she should possess a variety of attributes, including:
• Warm and welcoming leadership that motivates the volunteers, board, staff, families, donors, and partners.
• A passion for the people of Durham.
• Ability to be a strategic relationship builder.
• Ability to empathize with older adults, while preserving his or her own emotional health and setting appropriate personal boundaries.
• High social emotional intelligence, integrity, and sound judgment.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Five or more years in a leadership position or commensurate experience with demonstrated success in organizational management including fundraising, operations, strategic planning, volunteer management, and program development.
• Strong business acumen with a solid understanding of operations, finance, and budgeting.
• A proven track record in building and maintaining relationships across a wide spectrum of personalities and professions with a strategic focus on recruiting volunteers and fostering investment of financial resources.
• The ability to inspire others through written and verbal communications.
• Medical advocacy, understanding of healthcare systems, food programs, or similar experience preferred.
• A bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college/university.
Salary offered for this position is $85k-$90k and benefits include employee health insurance, retirement contribution, and personal time off.
Internal Number: 123456
About Meals on Wheels Durham
Armstrong McGuire is a full-service firm specializing in leadership development, executive recruitment, planning, resource development and assessment. Our firm helps nonprofits recruit great leaders and professionals. Our team has spent their careers in the nonprofit and philanthropic sector, and we focus our recruitment efforts exclusively on benefitting these institutions.