Join the University of Chicago Medicine and Biological Sciences Development (MBSD) team during a time of exciting momentum under the leadership of seasoned, dedicated, and talented professionals. This is a unique career opportunity to work with a dynamic organization driving the visionary and fundraising themes for the University of Chicago Campaign: Inquiry and Impact. Of the $5B Campaign, $1.2B will support medicine and biological sciences in research, patient care, and education and training programs, including several transformational initiatives. MBSD's mission is to inspire and facilitate philanthropy at the University of Chicago Medicine by building relationships with those who share its goals of advancing excellence in research, education, community, and patient care. We accomplish this mission through expertise, integrity, creativity, and collaboration. Be part of a team of colleagues whose commitment and contributions enable success and global impact in a bold Campaign.
Alumni Relations & Development
Sets and achieves University fundraising and engagement goals. Designs, manages, and executes development strategies and programs to maximize philanthropic support for the University’s priorities. Increases engagement and participation of the University’s worldwide community of alumni, parents, families and friends via diversified communication programs and activities.
Career Track and Job Level
Plans and executes the University’s campaign for annual gift support from alumni and other constituents at all levels through direct mail, calls and individual visits.
P2: Requires knowledge and experience in own discipline; still acquiring higher-level knowledge and skills. Builds knowledge of the organization, processes and customers. Solves a range of straightforward problems. Analyzes possible solutions using standard procedures. Receives a moderate level of guidance and direction.
The job plans and executes the institution’s campaign for annual gift support from all constituents, including alumni, and solves straightforward problems as they arise.
1) Contributes to the planning and implementation of programs to identify, visit, and solicit alumni, parents, and other constituencies within an assigned geographical region for gifts to meet fundraising goal. Does this with a moderate level of guidance and direction., 2) Contributes to the development of plans to solicit prospective donors and meet campaign goals. This includes speaking to new prospects persuasively about the case for annual giving support., 3) Ensures quality control when monitoring various marketing channels by developing a targeted strategy for solicitation and marketing materials as well as campaign appeals, solving a range of straightforward problems as they arise., 4) Collaborates with all divisions and schools, and relays information regarding capacity and inclination to give to the appropriate channels in the University through knowledge of the University process., 5) Performs other related work as needed.
1) The Assistant Director is responsible for the identification, solicitation, and stewardship of prospective donors who have the capacity to make financial commitments of $2,500 to $100K+ and builds a pipeline of future major gift donors.
2) S/he builds and manages a portfolio of at least 200-300 individual prospects and donors, and has an annual fundraising goal of $500K - $1.5M, which includes multi-year commitments.
3) S/he leverages existing engagement opportunities, events, phone calls, and visits to secure annual gifts and begin a stewardship experience that leads to major gifts in the future.
4) S/he plans and implements strategies for a coordinated program of fundraising activities for leadership gift prospects. S/he qualifies newly identified prospects; assesses their capacity and inclination to give and areas of interest.
5) S/he utilizes the stewardship program and other available resources to keep prospects and donors involved and informed of ongoing projects, developments, and advancements at the UCM. S/he collaborate with staff throughout MBSD to increase leadership annual gift activity on behalf of the UCM and the Biological Sciences.
6) S/he plans and executes a target of 150 prospect calls and visits and 75 solicitations, traveling as necessary to meet prospective donors in clinic, in the community or with faculty. S/he develops solicitation strategy and writes compelling fundraising proposals. S/he may collaborate with the Development Marketing and Communications team for proposal content or format.
7) S/he ensures that individual prospects are acknowledged in a timely, personalized, and expert manner. S/he researches and prepares stewardship reports for donors making expendable gifts. S/he coordinates stewardship efforts with the Donor Relations team.
8) S/he identifies reports required to track and analyze stewardship activity including appeal results; donor movement through giving levels; donor retention; and fundraising projections.
1) Strong verbal and writing skills, high attention to detail and follow-up, and excellent organizational skills 2) Strong commitment to customer service 3) Ability to manage confidential information with discretion and tact 4) Demonstrated skill and knowledge of, or ability to learn quickly, the internal workings of the University 5) Strong leadership qualities, including the ability both to delegate and to execute, thereby leading by word and by example required; ability to work collegially and collaboratively in a team setting 6) An exceptional work ethic and track record of personal initiative required; outstanding interpersonal and communications skills characterized by the ability to listen, to speak, and to write well 7) Must be flexible and adaptable to new programs in an emerging and changing environment
Education, Experience, and Certifications
Minimum requirements include a college or university degree in related field.
Minimum requirements include knowledge and skills developed through 2-5 years of work experience in a related job discipline.
1) A bachelor's degree or higher
1) A minimum of two years of professional work experience in nonprofit management, development, alumni relations, marketing, public relations, sales or similar professional work experience 2) Knowledge of managing gift prospects and fundraising volunteers 3) Experience in soliciting and closing gifts of $2,500 or more
2) Cover Letter
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
Internal Number: JR06994
About 20103 BSD-Dev Pr/Alum
Join the University of Chicago Medicine and Biological Sciences Development (MBSD) team during a time of exciting momentum under the leadership of seasoned, dedicated, and talented professionals. This is a unique career opportunity to work with a dynamic organization driving the visionary and fundraising themes for the University of Chicago Campaign: Inquiry and Impact. Of the $5B Campaign, $1.2B will support medicine and biological sciences in research, patient care, and education and training programs, including several transformational initiatives. Having already surpassed $1 billion in 2018, MBSD is in the pivotal stage of driving this ambitious campaign to achieve its goal.MBSD's mission is to inspire and facilitate philanthropy at the University of Chicago Medicine by building relationships with those who share its goals of advancing excellence in research, education, community, and patient care. We accomplish this mission through expertise, integrity, creativity, and collaboration. Be part of a team of colleagues whose commitment and contributions enable success and global impact in a bold Campaign.