This administrative position supports the Director of Clinical Training (DCT), together coordinating activities in the sliding-scale-fee Bette D. Harris Family and Child Clinic. The Clinic includes over 90 clinic trainees from the Marriage and Family Therapy Master’s Program, the Counseling Master’s Program, and the Clinical Psychology PhD Practicum Program. This position also supports the Director of Community Programs and Outcome Measurement in coordinating Project Strengthen in which staff therapists and therapists-in-training are matched to treat complex cases. This a 20 hour per week position.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
1. Schedule and assist the DCT in the coordination of the clinic orientation of all new clinic trainees when they enter the clinic, which includes coordinating an agenda for the Billing, IT, Operations and Clinical Services departments
2. Schedule with IT in clinic trainee trainings and orientations related to all AV (TFI email and voicemail; MRM; flash drive and recording equipment) and the AdvancedMD electronic medical records system. Direct students and supervisors to any additional support as needed.
3. As needed, coordinate clinic orientation of supervisors when they enter the clinic, which includes assisting the DCT as a liaison with the education programs, coordinating an agenda for the Billing, IT, Operations and Clinical Services departments.
4. As needed, coordinate refresher trainings for current supervisors who request one
5. Work with DCT to provide all trainees with office assignments based on 1) TFI location office availability; 2) the trainee’s preferences; and 3) the trainee’s access to a car
6. Communicate the clinical trainees’ office assignments to them, their supervisors and the Operations department. Keep track of these assignments in the Shared Drive.
7. Collaborate with the Education programs to schedule quarterly Clinic meetings. Communicate dates to Clinic trainees and assist the DCT as needed around preparation
8. Attend quarterly Clinic Meetings for all clinic trainees in order to be apprised of important and/or imminent issues in the clinic
9. Process the fee reduction paperwork by notifying each student via email; maintain a document with the details of the fee reductions; communicate the approved reductions to the billing department; and submit the original request form to be scanned into the client’s AdvancedMD account
10. Act as liaison between Billing, IT and Operations departments and education programs; ensure fluid communication and actions so that all student matters related to these departments and programs are handled properly
11. Track MFT and Counseling students’ hours breakdown to ensure they are on track to make their various required hours; communicate with supervisors and students as to their progress; maintain priority list; communicate with Registration as needed
12. Maintain up-to-date Clinic Supervision List in the TFI Shared Drive
13. Assist the DCT in coordinating the exit procedure process. Train students, supervisors, department personnel as needed on exit procedures; track students’ progress during the exiting process; assess and track improvements for the following year
14. Track policy changes, as identified by the DCT, throughout the year and coordinate with the DCT to update the Clinic Policies and Procedures Manual yearly
15. Send email to Staff therapists and therapists-in-training at least once a week with available Project Strengthen Cases; match therapists to cases based on availability and location preferences; email therapists informing them of this match
16. Check in with therapists with Project Strengthen Cases for updates on number of sessions completed and whether the case is still active and engaged
17. Remind therapists involved in Project Strengthen to administer final surveys; collect final surveys and enter responses into a spreadsheet
18. Ensure that Project Strengthen tracking spreadsheet is up to date
Other Job Responsibilities:
1. Be available to consult with students, supervisors, and education regarding administrative issues
2. Perform other duties as assigned
Summary of Qualifications
Knowledge and Skills:
1. Commitment to providing excellent customer service
2. Ability to collaborate with coworkers in other departments as well as students
3. Exhibit empathy, compassion, and kindness
4. Embrace change and be solutions-oriented
5. Strong phone contact handling skills and active listening
6. Organized and detail-oriented
7. Able to manage several projects at once
8. Able to work independently
Minimum Hiring Specifications:
1. Minimum of one years’ experience in social services or healthcare setting
2. Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written
3. Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office, database and internet programs
About The Family Institute at Northwestern University
Since the 1960s, The Family Institute at Northwestern University has been committed to strengthening and healing families and individuals from all walks of life through clinical service, education and research. The Institute provides counseling and psychotherapy throughout the Chicago metropolitan area and now helps more than 7,000 people annually.
The Family Institute also operates graduate programs in marriage and family therapy and counseling at Northwestern University and conducts important research projects that lead to better understanding of mental health issues. The distinguished professional staff and faculty include internationally recognized experts who combine the roles of therapist/teacher/scientist.