Medicine and Biological Sciences Development’s mission is to inspire and facilitate philanthropy at the University of Chicago Medicine by building relationships with those who share its goals of advancing excellence in research, education, community, and patient care. We accomplish this mission through expertise, integrity, creativity, and collaboration.
Responsible for planning, preparing, publishing, and disseminating University sponsored information both internally and externally. Prepares written, graphical, audio, and visual material to support the communications to press and government agencies.
Career Track and Job Level
Creates plans for events programming, marketing, and logistics, and oversees their execution.
P2: Requires knowledge and experience in own discipline; still acquiring higher-level knowledge and skills. Builds knowledge of the organization, processes and customers. Solves a range of straightforward problems. Analyzes possible solutions using standard procedures. Receives a moderate level of guidance and direction.
The job provides professional support and solves straightforward problems in a broad range of operational business activities in the creation of plans for events programming, marketing, and logistics. With guidance from others, monitors the execution of events.
1) Executes day-to-day event logistics, and other moderately complex assignments with some guidance from others., 2) Assists with research, including vendor selection and contract negotiation. Keeps track of all expenses, prepares reports on costs, using existing procedures to solve moderately complex problems as they arise., 3) Reviews and finalizes the guest lists, assists with mailing invitations and creates brochures for the event., 4) Works to implement ideas for improvement as they are identified in addition to providing post-event feedback on turnout and vendor performance with direction from others., 5) Performs other related work as needed.
1) The Coordinator performs complex and diverse responsibilities in support of the Outreach & Volunteer Engagement Team, which includes Alumni Relations, Events and Outreach.
2) S/he assists in the planning and execution of numerous events including Alumni Council and subcommittee meetings, staff retreats, lectures, donor lunches and check presentations.
3) S/he will support the Events and Outreach team by maintaining event team resources (i.e. toolkits and vendor contact information), tracking RSVP’s, completing follow-up and confirmation calls/emails, preparing invitation and mailing lists, and coordinating faculty/speaker availability. In addition, s/he will maintain a calendar of events and coordinate event preparation meetings.
4) S/he will support the Alumni Relations team by handling Alumni Council and ad hoc committees meeting logistics, including meeting set-up, drafting and distributing meeting invitations, handling RSVPs, taking minutes and assisting members with travel planning.
5) With oversight from the Assistant Director of Alumni Relations, the Coordinator provides excellent customer service and problem solving for alumni and donors including: answering phone lines, responding to email, handling gift and registration exceptions.
6) S/he prepares post event reports, executive summaries and audits to help track the ROI and outcomes of each event. This includes managing data updates to CRM software, such as event attendance, special handling tags, prospect assignments, qualification data etc.
1) Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities, and meet deadlines 2) Ability to work well within a team of highly motivated individuals 3) Outstanding interpersonal and communications skills characterized by the ability to write well with a strong commitment to customer service 4) Excellent diplomatic skills 5) Ability to maintain confidentiality 6) Ability to learn and manipulate databases 7) Ability to attend and help with weekend and evening events 8) Ability and willingness to travel
Education, Experience, and Certifications
Minimum requirements include a college or university degree in related field.
Minimum requirements include knowledge and skills developed through 2-5 years of work experience in a related job discipline.
1) A bachelor’s degree or higher
1) A minimum of one year of experience in development or a related service-oriented field
2) Cover Letter
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
Internal Number: JR07676
About The University of Chicago MBSD
Join the University of Chicago Medicine and Biological Sciences Development (MBSD) team during a time of exciting momentum under the leadership of seasoned, dedicated, and talented professionals. This is a unique career opportunity to work with a dynamic organization driving the visionary and fundraising themes for the University of Chicago Campaign: Inquiry and Impact. Of the $5B Campaign, $1.2B will support medicine and biological sciences in research, patient care, and education and training programs, including several transformational initiatives. Having already surpassed $1 billion in 2018, MBSD is in the pivotal stage of driving this ambitious campaign to achieve its goal.MBSD's mission is to inspire and facilitate philanthropy at the University of Chicago Medicine by building relationships with those who share its goals of advancing excellence in research, education, community, and patient care. We accomplish this mission through expertise, integrity, creativity, and collaboration. Be part of a team of colleagues whose commitment and contributions enable success and global impact in a bold Campaign.